Penelope

My puppy is supposed to be purebred pit, but her floppy long ears are making me unsure. Any one have any idea? She is7 w

Asked by Penelope on Oct 16th 2011 in American Pit Bull Terrier

Answers

Elsa

From the picture, Penelope definitely looks like a pitbull. pitbull puppies have floppy ears that usually go straight when grown.

Elsa answered on 10/16/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

SNEAKERS

There's DNA Test Kits available, where you can do a oral swab, send it off, and in a few weeks, get a nice report on the consistency of its Ancestry. I used the Insights Test, and you can see the information on it at...
www.wisdompanel.com

Now, you're probably going to hear some "comments" on the accuracy of this type test. But, technology rules, and at some point, one is going to have to yield to the Empirical Data.

There’s a difference between an animal being Purebred, and having Provable Lineage !

My intent was to verify if my animal was Purebred. To validate that it had an uninterrupted bloodline of Yorkshire Terrier. DNA Testing does that.

If you wish to verify the Lineage of your Dog, then pursue the “Paper Trail”, via your Breeder, AKC, DRA, UKC or the Parent Club Documentation. This is called Lineage, and these two methods “should” be complimentary, not exclusive.

Insights is not the only test available, and, one can get some very intensive Test done (which cost more) to go back farther than the three generations that Insights does.

Also, cost may be an issue. Insights retail cost about $70, but, if one looks around, it can be had for less when on sale. Got mine for $50.

When they get the analysis done, Insights gives you an Ancestry Certification Certificate. which looks like this...
i246.photobucket.com

Metaphorically speaking:
Lineage tells you of the Trunk and its Branches. DNA tells you if the Leaves are all the same color.

SNEAKERS answered on 10/16/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sanka- I'll Miss You

Pitbulls do NOT get erect ears.

Hard to really tell what a dog is at that age. 7 weeks is a bit early to be away from the mother and siblings and too early for any shelter to adopt out...so, I'm not sure where you got this pup, but I doubt it's purebred anything.

Sanka- I'll Miss You answered on 10/16/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Bianca

The Wisdom Panel test doesn't include the American Pit Bull Terrier. There's a chance it could come back 100% "American Staffordshire Terrier," a very closely related breed, or the results could say it is a mix of AST and something else, neither of which answers your question, "is it a purebred APBT?"

Is there a reason you haven't asked to see the pedigree and breeding records from your breeder? If they are reputable enough to buy from, they should have all of that information, and be able to show it to you. Were the parents both UKC registered? Did you ask to see proof of this?

Puppies change so much as they grow - Bianca looked a lot more like a Boxer when she was a puppy, now she looks like a 50/50 split.

The breed standard calls for semi-prick or rose ears - they may change as she gets older.

She's cute - if you're not going to breed or show her, it doesn't matter if she's purebred.

Bianca answered on 10/16/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

She's definitely a purebred APBT, she is a beautiful dog too!