My puppy is destroying me!

I've recently adopted a 6 month old staffordshire bull terrier cross from a rescue centre. We don't know exactly what happened to her, but she was found a couple of months ago wandering the streets, quite thin, and with a few scars on her nose.

She's a lovely little dog, obeys basic commands such as sit and lie down and has good recall. She's also very good with other dogs.

The problem is, she is not housetrained and so goes wherever she wants. However, that is not the only issue. She also has a large submissive urination problem, and squats in fear from the smallest of things. We're trying our best to be aware of this and be soft and slow around her, but it's extremely difficult. And not only that, but she seems to have seperation anxiety. She will not go in another room without me or my partner, and whines loudly if we try and leave her in a room alone. I'm thinking that maybe all these problems are combining with eachother and i just don't know what to do anymore!!!

Asked by Member 1150451 on Jan 17th 2013 Tagged seperation, anxiety, submissive, urination, housetraining, puppy in House Soiling

Answers

Crate train her. Make her earn freedom. Take her out every 1/2 hour. If she doesn't go to the bathroom, then she goes back in the crate. If she goes, make a big deal out of it with treats, then she just earned 1 hour of freedom. You can slowly extend the time she has for freedom. Make sure during her freedom, she does't have access to the entire house. Confine her to one or two rooms until she can be trusted in the rest of the house. She has to earn that too. This is very time consuming in the beginning. But, if you are very good about sticking to that schedule, she will start to ask/cue to go out. The cue could be very subtle like a whine, a stare at you or she might go to the door, etc. You have to pay attention to her to catch the cue. Some dogs will only ask once before they potty in the house. As for the submissive peeing, that is truly something she can't help. Jax did that until she was about 3 or 4. They usually grow out of it. Greet her where there's easy clean up. Good Luck!