Smokie

My puppy has the runs can i give him imodium ad. I know i can give him pepto but im all out. help!!!

My puppy has the runs can i give him imodium ad? I would just give him pepto but we are all out.

Asked by Smokie on Mar 16th 2008 in Medications

Answers

Lily

No, not without calling your vet. That is much stronger medication than Pepto, and he is only a pup. I wouldn't give it to a big adult dog. Just give him water for a while and let nature run its course.

Lily answered on 3/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Generally speaking, you can use Immodium AD to treat diarrhea in dogs - however, you want to make sure to use it only in the correct situation.

Immodium works by slowly stopping the normal movement of your dog's intestinal tract. If there are a lot of toxins from bacteria or spoiled foods, then this material sits in the intestines and is more likely to enter the bloodstream and make your dog sicker.

So please be sure to know what is causing the diarrhea. Is it a change from the food you were feeding, or just nervousness, that would be fine. If he's eaten something he shouldn't have, then I wouldn't.

Correct dosage is, 1/2 a 2mg tablet for a 20-30 lb. dog. No more than 4 to 6 times a day, and don't give it more than every 4 hours.

Make sure to offer plenty of fresh water so he does not become dehydrated, and schedule a vet visit to see what is causing the diarrhea if you're not sure.

You might also want to try some canned pumpkin if you've got it. Not pumpkin pie filling, just the plain pumpkin. It usually helps.

Athena

I agree with Abbey 100%. Athena has had a diarrhea problem since we brought her home from the shelter. We gave her Kaopectate at first and rice with chicken broth (and some yogurt as a treat). But the vet who told us to try those things ended up being wrong. The vet we are with now found a lot of bacteria in her intestines. And since we let it go so long now she has trouble absorbing any nutrients from her food. When that happens it worsens the diarrhea because when she doesn't absorb it, it turns into liquid in her stomach. Now she has to be on a special diet and medicine. Still waiting for a follow up to see if it will be something she has to stay on or not. I know you can spend a lot of money at vets so it is best to find home remedies sometimes. But when they are puppies I would suggest a vet visit when diarrhea is in the picture. It could be so many things since their systems are so sensitive. Trying to save money could end up costing more later if you don't. Good luck

Athena answered on 3/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Fast him for 24 hours & then give him a day of boiled ground beef with white rice...& a bit of straight pumpkin...Then go back to his usual diet...Did he have something to eat that he usually doesn't have?
I hope your baby is better soon!

In my experience, sometimes the fasting can cause more probems, depending on what the actual issue is.

If this were my dog, I would just feed him some white rice and totally plain, baked chicken breast at the same time as his next meal would be. I would feed a smaller amount of food than he normally gets, but if he does well, then I'd give him another feeding a few hours later if he seemed hungry.

Sometimes, this sort of transient diarrhea is just part of the adjustment period, the new food adjustment or even the new water adjustment period, believe it or not. Stress, anxiety or even having fun with another dog or a good play session can cause it, especially in a dog Smokie's age.

If it continues or stops, then comes back over and over, definitely time for the vet.

My approach is not to do anything like Pepto Bismol or imodium if you don't know for sure what is causing it and haven't talked to the vet. The chicken and rice works well, and so does the canned pumpkin.

Kate

From looking at your page your dog has had some health issues in the past. Perhaps a trip to the vet. Check the food you are feeding shouldn't have any corn or wheat gluten in it. If it does it may be the cause for some of your poopy problems.

Kate answered on 3/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Rocky

my puppy had the runs and was put on a low residue diet. After about a week it cleared up. So I would ask your vet what to do.

Rocky answered on 3/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer