My puppy has sores on his chin that leak puss & blood. He doesn't have plastic bowls or toys, what could be the cause?

My 8 month old Doberman puppy has sores under his chin. Whenever I rub under his chin the sores pop and puss and blood comes out. I looked at other peoples' questions that were similar to mine and answers that have been offered, however, I don't use plastic bowls or toys and I don't feed him Beneful like some answerers have suggested may be the problem. I feed him Natural Choice dry dog food and he has metal water and food bowls which I wash frequently. Could this be something other than acne? Is there any advise anyone can give me? HELP PLEASE!

Asked by Member 701727 on Aug 12th 2008 in Skin Problems

Answers

Loomis

There was a Doberman in one of my classes and she had what looked like warts and it took a trip to the vet and a few different kinds of food to get better. It's very possible there is something in the Natural Choice that your puppy is allergic to. Many dogs are fed a good food and still have allergies, it could be the meat type or if there is egg or any kind of grain. It could also be a plant or weed in your yard or not an allergy at all, things like this are not always solved over night.

Loomis answered on 8/12/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

A lack of zinc can cause things like that. If it looks anything like this (that's a real bad case in the picture, though, the spots are usually much smaller): www.docdiet.de
Then it's probably a lack of zinc or copper.
He could also be allergic to the metal in his collar, or some laundry detergent you use to wash his blankets...

Sebastian

I would take him to the vet and have them check it out. But we took Sebastian to the vet for the same problem. The vet said that it was just acne and nothing to worry about because a lot of dogs get it. She suggested putting acne cream on the bumps to dry them up. We tried that and it worked.

Sebastian answered on 8/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer