My puppy has a red boil looking thing under his tail, help?!

I have a year and a half year old black lab and tonight, me and my boyfriend found this red boil thing under his tail! We are not sure what it could be either. I was very scared so I did some research online, and the more and more I do that, the more I want to cry. I want to know if there is anyone else who has this problem or has gone through this? And if so, do you know what I should do? Anything I can do at home (like pop it)? Please help us!

Asked by Member 996797 on Jul 13th 2010 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Go to the vet as soon as you can.

It's probably an impacted anal gland. If you try to pop it at home, you are in for the grossest, nastiest surprise of your life- even veterinarians throw up sometimes because of the reek of anal glands.

Even if it's a boil, in a dog's posterior region, if you pop it under unsanitary conditions on your own, you're inviting something like gangrene to come and make your pup sick. :(

It probably won't be a terribly expensive fix at the vet's office- don't cry or worry too much, just take him in in the morning and they'll fix him right up.

Don't cry! And stop looking online. The only thing that does is distract you from what you really need, which a diagnosis from a real vet.

As much as we'd love to help you here, it's impossible for us to say exactly what this bump is.

It could indeed be an impacted anal gland, but you haven't said exactly where it is so it's hard to even be sure about the location. If its' on the tail, it can be anything from an insect bite to a cyst to a staph infection.

What can I tell you FOR SURE?

Well, two things:

1) It's more than likely nothing that can't be treated easily, provided you go to the vet and

2) The sooner you go to the vet, the better chance he has of making a full recovery even in the off chance it's something very serious, which it likely isn't.

Also, a bonus: 3) Don't ever mess with something like this at home by "popping" it. You can cause a simple issue to become life threatening by causing an infection or blood poisoning if you don't know what you're doing.