My puppy has a large, hard bump under the skin where he received his rabies shot. Is this normal?

Asked by Member 741858 on Sep 24th 2008 Tagged bump, rabiesshot in Health & Wellness

Answers

No it's not normal ,you should go back to the vet right now.It maybe a allergie.I add it append to one of my dogs before.

Yes, it can be normal. Some dogs have reactions to certain vaccinations, and swelling is probably the most typical. I would take your dog to the vet just so he can take a look at it, and make note of it next time when your dog is vaccinated. Don't freak out because it happens, but do go and see your vet.

Vaccines are given as subcutaneous (just under the skin) shots. Two things can cause a bump: 1) the vaccine itself causes the dog's system to react and produce a bump, or 2) the shot did not penetrate completely and was injected partially into the skin.

More often than not, it is the vaccine itself that causes the bumps. Nothing to be concerned about - it is a surface reaction and can take anywhere from 1-4 weeks to dissipate.

It would be good to check with your vet regarding vaccinations as well - many are given every year, while the vaccines themselves are good for 5-7 years (killed virus), and live virus vaccines can last a lifetime. Overvaccination can cause skin allergies, heart problems, and a host of other issues.