My puppy got bit last Thursday on the ear. It looks as if the tooth might have gone through her ear like a puncture woun

Asked by Member 997554 on Jul 19th 2010 in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

Gidget

Do you know what he was bitten by? My youngest dog bit her big brother on the ear once. It went all the way through. Of course I know she has had her shots, so I didn't worry about that, but I had to keep the wound clean and my vet let me pick up some anitibiotic ointment to put on his ear. It started healing within a couple of days, and was completely healed in less than a week, leaving only a small scab that seemed to stay for quite a while.

If the ear is looking infected, you should take your puppy to the vet. Since it was done last Thursday, she may need a professional to help clean and treat the wound, especially if you don't know the source of the bite. The vet will probably clean the wound, give her a round of antibiotics and some ointment, and possibly a pain killer if the wound is really infected and causing pain.

Never let an infection ride out. It could cause much worse damage. So if it is infected get her to a vet.

Good luck

Gidget answered on 7/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You should get her to the vet so they can properly clean the wound.

Mouths contain a lot of bacteria and bite wounds like this (punctures) almost always get infected, even if they aren't serious to begin with. The vet can prescribe some antibiotics for her and make sure the wound is healing ok.

It's worth going on because untreated, an infection can cause complications and it's harder and more expensive to treat if that happens.

Mini

I agree I agree!! You should take your pup to the Vet. Last summer Mini was bitten through the ear by another dog and required 6 stiches to sew it back up. If you wait to long the Vet cant stitch but still try and get there just to get it looked at, like said above, to avoid infection. If your pup was bit by another dog you dont know if that dog has had its shots or not, or if it is sick. It shouldnt cost a lot to get it checked out.

Mini answered on 7/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer