My puppy got attacked while walking and I don't want this to scar her emotionally. What to do next?

Okay so I was taking my 12 week year old German Shepherd for her daily walk. Anyway about a minute and a half in we walked past a persons house who had his dog on his front lawn, of course off a lead. I looked at the owner and said hello, he said hi back and not to worry about his dog because it won't attack. I foolishly trusted him and took my eyes off the dog, when I did this my pup barked at it and I told her off and she stopped. Then all of a sudden the person dog, which seemed like a boxer cross, attacked my pup. I did everything I could to break it up. I pulled my dog away while trying to hold onto the other dogs collar but it still managed to get a few bites in until the owner pulled his dog off. Anyway I took my dog home, examined her and fortunately found she was unharmed physically. But I'm more worried what will happen to her emotionally. I don't want this to scar her and for her to be and aggressive dog when she grows up. So what should I do next to try and prevent this?

Asked by Member 1151257 on Jan 21st 2013 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

When you go past the house again, walk by like it's no big deal. If you are calm and not worried, she will feed off your energy and learn it is Ok.

Kodi

Dogs live in the moment day to day. Just keep walking and stay relaxed like nothing happen and so will your dog.

Kodi answered on 1/23/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Missy

Carry on as normal as possible and try not to show any nerves or tension when passing this house in the future. Do you know other friendly dogs you can walk with and/or meet up with? So your pup can have some positive encounters after such a negative experience. Being young, she should be able to get over it relatively quickly, but do watch for signs of anxiety when she's around other dogs. If possible i'd avoid walking past the house altogether.

Missy answered on 2/1/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer