My puppy gets possessive not over toys or food, but over socks or bark he picks up outside (the stuff we don't give him)

He understands and preforms "drop it" with toys all day long, but tries to sneak in pieces of bark that he grabs from outside. He just recently let out a little growl at me for coming close to him when he had that...any suggestions for how to desensitize or best handle this situation?

Asked by Member 1155314 on Feb 14th 2013 Tagged growling, socks, possessive in Aggression

Answers

We like "trade". You trade the pup for something else, like a kong, treat, ball, toy etc..

well your socks because it has your scent, in dog mind YOU ARE MINE, JUST MINE, so yes possesive over your smell socks, to at really extreme extent, my dog marked me with his pee in front of people to claim me his. As for the stuff he finds, its like he accomplished something big with his HARD WORK and he feels totally should be praised for his great work, so instead of grabbing it, you can say good job! but then well that depends what he finds, so you might have to go with NO, drop it, but then better as the other suggested TRADE WORKS, like humans they are always into something BETTER, like treats they are edible or his favorite toy.