Misty

My puppy eats too fast. She is now 11 weeks, and she gobbles her food so fast she sometimes doesn't even chew.

Is there a way to make her eat slower? She can inhale her entire meal in under 60 seconds and we give her a cup at a meal. For a couple minutes after she acts like she is sort of choking or gagging (burping?). She also will way overeat if we let her. She never realizes when she is full. We have two dogs and she knows she is not supposed to eat Amos' food (he is a slow finicky eater), but she inhales hers and then jumps over and pushes him away to start eating his. We tell her no, she will back up for a second but then plunges back in. So we pick her up, but she is growing and we won't always be able to pick her up. This fast eating can't be healthy and we need to slow her down as well as a way to train her not to eat food she knows she not allowed to eat without restraining her.

Asked by Misty on Oct 4th 2008 Tagged food, overeating, fasteating in Behavior & Training

Answers

Peaches ♥

You may need to separate her when they eat, let Amos eat first then feed her afterwards. If you continue to feed them both at once, try taking her for a walk or playing with her to distract her from Amos' food. Keep some of her kibble back to use as a reward and get her attention. If she won't come to you and heads for Amos' bowl, maybe a spritz of water in the face and a strong "eh eh" will help. It might take two of you, one to sprtiz and one to call and reward her for staying away. She should learn that what you haveis better than what she could steal from Amos.

Also, some people have used the brake-fast bowl which has large plastic pieces sticking up in the bowl to keep the dog from getting a huge mouthful at once - they have to pick out the pieces more with their tongue than anything else and it takes them longer.

You do need to slow her down, though. It's thought that eating too quickly can lead to gastric bloat, which can be fatal if not treated very quickly.

Peaches ♥ answered on 10/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Puppies have to fight for food from day one, especially if they are from a large litter or the weaker one of the group. Eat quick, they have other littermates who are hungry as well. I would separate the dogs at feeding time, why stress yourself and the dogs out? You could try feeding your puppy from a cookie sheet or even spread his food out on the floor, this way he won't get big mouthfuls.

♥Lucy♥

Aw!i have seen in some catalogs food bowls that are raise in the center and sort of like a luggage carousel without the spinning! I'm sorry i forget which mag. it is but I'm sure you can purchase it at your local pet store. because it is raised the food is on the sides of the bowl. they have to work a little bit to get more food. This slows them down and makes it easier for them to realize their full. If i remember the magazine i will tell you! Good luck!

♥Lucy♥ answered on 10/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

TK, CGC

You can either put a rock or a can in her bowl (or buy a brake-fast bowl) or feed her off of a cookie sheet. Or, you can hand feed her. Hand feeding is good for several reasons and can really solidify the dog's view that you are the provider. You can even incorporate some training in (tossing some kibble out or giving her some after she sits or lies down for you).

TK, CGC answered on 10/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

♥ Tucker ♥

The best way to help Misty (who is adorable by the way!) eat a little slower is first, put her on her leash before you feed her (this will help the second part of your problem). In her food bowl, put baby carrots, carrot halves, large potato pieces or large apple pieces (peeled, cored and seeded!!!), this will make her have to search for her food in the bowl. You want to put something in there that: (1) if she eats it, it will take her awhile to consume it and (2) it's good for her :)

As for poor Amos :), now that you have that little thief, Misty, leashed. When she goes for his food, step on the lead or grab it - and remove her from his food. Maybe give her a treat after - try to keep this as your routine. Or simply, after she's finished eating, take the lead and move her away from Amos.

Good luck - hope this helped.

♥ Tucker ♥ answered on 10/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Starbutt

I have had many puppy litters, and I think (MY OPINOIN) is they are not eating enough. NO your not starving your puppy not in any sense but I soften the food and I give them as much as they can eat I had a english bulldog pup from a breeder and I did the same I soften the food and give her as much as she can eat. she never ate fast once she was given it as much as she could eat. They got fed 3 times a day. I guess at 8 weeks I made the food less soft and they went to dry food over a few weeks. Now I have food available all the time for the dogs we have and they don't eat like they never saw it/had it.

Soften you puppy food and let it eat as much as it can, some get sick so you may have to feed it more times a day. this should do it for you.

Starbutt answered on 11/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer