my puppy ate a stink bug. Should I be concerned?

She is about 10 weeks old. She ate the stink bug, foamed at the mouth and then threw up. Afterwards, she went about her usual puppy antics, but now, about 4 hours later, she seems very tired and not as playful as earlier.

Asked by Member 795991 on Jan 23rd 2009 Tagged puppy, stinkbugs, eating in Health & Safety

Answers

Zackintosh CJ

I'm not sure, but I think stink bugs may be poisonous to dogs. I'm not postitive.
But in any case, if you doubt your dogs health, take her to the vet to be checked.
Better safe than sorry.

Zackintosh CJ answered on 1/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mr. BoJangles

I would definately call the vet to check. But honestly, my dogs eat them all the time. They smell horrible and the dogs kind of spit afterwards, but they keep eating them.

My dogs have never foamed or vomited, so I would call the vet and ask what they think.

Mr. BoJangles answered on 1/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My 17 week old Pom ate about 30 Stink Bugs today. We have 1000's of them and can't vacuum them up fast enough . After 30 today and several hundred over the last two weeks, he is fine. He actually appears to like them. My Vet doesn't think they are toxic and I can't find anything in the internet to substantiate toxicity.

I am training a service dog during its first year of life, before he goes in for intensive training at the organization. The pup is 12 weeks old. The other day, he began throwing up and having diarrhea. I was perplexed, since I keep extremely close watch on him and he is always with me, day and night. He became very lethargic and, when offered his dinner, stuck his nose in the bowl, ate none of it, paced around the bowl, walked away, went back to the bowl, whimpered and went to lay down. Very very unusual behavior for a lab who usually bolts down his food in seconds flat. I ended up taking him to the clinic. He was put on an iv and given medication. Anecdotal, but perhaps warrants further exploration. In the end, I told our supervisor about it, and she said that a similar situation had occurred in her family with a young pup. I should say that a former lab of mine used to eat them all the time, as a full-grown dog, and appeared to love them!!! At any rate, this was a scary incident.