My puppy and my dog don't get along

My eight year old dog and my eight week old puppy don't get along. My eight year dog is a labrador and my puppy is a maremma / retriever . My dogs is friendly towards every other dog but the puppy. The dog does not bark or try and bite the puppy he just runs always and he is like scared of it? Please help! the dog and the puppy has to spend the rest of their lives together I would like to be an enjoyable experience.

Asked by Member 1150537 on Mar 6th 2014 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Chances are you adopted a dog of the same gender, yes? It is better to adopt a pup of the opposite gender to avoid same-sex gender issues, like the ones you are currently having. Your older dog does not want to constantly have to play, be bothered, or share territory with this pup. His reaction is instinctual and natural. Make sure to give your existing dog just as much alone time as you did before, or he may become resentful and start peeing in the house. Also make sure to feed them different foods- the older one should eat large breed senior, and the new one a healthy food like Natural Choice Large Breed puppy in the blue bag. The sooner you have the new pup neutered, the better your existing dog will feel about him. Your older dog is already a senior citizen, and it is better to adopt another pet while your first pet is younger and more adaptable in the future. ^_^

Coda

Sounds like you haven't had the pup very long, right? Honestly, I think they just need time. For a few weeks following us bringing her home, our younger Dal was totally ignored and avoided by our older Dal. Eventually they became fast friends. All I can say is make sure to take them on walks together, and make sure your older dog's routine still stays fairly consistent to how it was before the new pup. Make sure you're established as the pack leader in both their eyes, and eventually your older dog will learn to treat your pup as just another member of the pack :)

Coda answered on 3/12/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It can be difficult for an old dog when a new dog is thrown into the mix. Dogs do have feelings as well, and can become depressed or even jealous of a new dog.

Practice togetherness. One thing you can do to help prevent depression is to encourage both dogs to interact with each other. When you teach the younger dog tricks, don’t remove your older dog from the activities. In fact, use this as a time to reinforce his skills. When you play with the new dog, be sure that your older dog is involved, or at least allowed to be involved. Make the activity a competition, and we all know that dogs do love competition (especially when they are feeling jealous of the new member).

Never seclude or take space away from your older dog. This can be taken as a threat or even represent a dismissal to them, creating resentment and depression in the older dog. Feed them together but in different bowls and rooms to to make sure that neither one of them gets into the other one’s food.