SPAWN

my puppies hair is falling out

I have a 3 1/2 month old rotti pup who's hair is falling out. My husband and I think it's from the advantix we gave him a week ago. It's falling out all over not just in one place. We took him to the vet and everything is ok, no fleas, no mites, no mange. They took blood and we have to wait for the results. The vet is very puzzled about this and couldn't give us a definite answer. She however contacted Bayer regarding the advantix and they've never heard of a dog losing their hair as a side effect. It doesn't mean that it can't happen. We gave him a oatmeal bath and seems to be doing ok, still scratching. The vet gave us some benadryl for it. Has anyone heard of anything like this? I've been searching about it online and there's not much info. out there.

Asked by SPAWN on May 22nd 2008 in Shedding

Answers

~Emma~ RL1

Hi, my vet told me it is a common thing. We also did the tests for exactly what you said your vet did. Never did narrow ours down either.
Emma lost hair around a year/year and half age, on her shoulders and across her hips.
It could have been an allergic reaction to just one flea, or it could have been a fungus. I got a medicated shampoo, and Emma had to learn patience with ten minute baths, BOL. And I starting looking into quality foods for her, as it could have been an allergic reaction to the wheat and corn in her diet.

Just wanted to let you know you are not alone. Emma's hair did grow back and now it's just fine. For her it grew in darker, so she has a couple of dark patches on her back, it looks kinda funny ;) as you can see in her picture.
You are one cute pup, I like your name! are you a troublemaker or what?!

~Emma~ RL1 answered on 5/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

what about ringworm? If they have one they have others. And that would cause hair to fall out. And that can be spread to humans or from humans to the animal

♥GRACIE

Gracie had an allergic reaction to the flea treatment and the hair fell out only in the exact spot the topical was placed. the vet said the ingredients were much the same in all topicals and now unfortunately we have to use the old pill form, called Program, and the flea actually has to bite the dog before it will die. (but we have no problems, thank dog.)

♥GRACIE answered on 6/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer