snowy

my pup was kicked hard and now it is showing some aggressive character.What do i do?

It bit my friend and he kicked it back.he didnt mean it though.the next hour it was vaccinated for the second booster.now my pup shows aggressiveness and barks,growls and bites at me and my mother.sometimes he is playful.he eats.he wont allow to be lifted.

Asked by snowy on Dec 28th 2011 in Aggression

Answers

This is normal puppy play, not aggression. Young puppies bite, it's part of how they learn. But you need to teach him that it's not acceptable when playing with a human.

Now I'm not super knowledgeable on raising puppies, but I have picked up a couple of tips from others and from handling puppies for a short amount of time.
One, when he bites, yelp.
Two, play sessions end when biting starts. When he bites, yelp, turn around and ignore him for a bit. Let him know that you'll only play with him if he'll play nice.

As far as being lifted up, try redirecting him to a toy when you go to pick him up. Praise him when he bites the toy instead of you.