My pup has a bad odor

We have had our female pup "Diamond" for 4 months now, and since we have gotten her she has had a bad wet dog like odor to her. We bathe her twice a month and even right after her bath she smells, I've tried several different shampoos, some mask the odor for a day or two but none of them seem to eliminate it. I've heard it could be the food, we feed her Purina. What could it be? Should I change her food & to what type of food?

Asked by Member 818360 on Jun 20th 2009 in Pet Food

Answers

Sassy

Sassy always smelled like a wet dog too. I thought it was just her smell but when she started eating home cooked food the smell mostly went away. She never ate Purina, always premium kibble but still had that smell. Some dogs do improve on premium kibble though. Check out the Nutrition forum here on Dogster. There are many threads on what to look for in a dog food. Look for one with NAMED meat and meat meals like lamb, chicken, sardine for starters. Meat can be anything. Corn and wheat can be trouble makers. Soy can be poorly tolerated by dogs.

Sassy answered on 6/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Its probably a yeast over growth.

Yeast infections can be caused by poor diets, and stress.

I would change what you are feeding your dog.

There are also shampoo's you can use on your dog.
I think head and shoulders is suggested (but not a cure if you don't change your dogs food)

You need to eliminate things like corn, grain, and soy.
Things that can cause allergy.

Just good lable reading.
You can try blue buffalo for a cheap food.
Or you can go to premium food, or raw.

That should help you.
If you let it continue though your dog will start itching badly and lose its fur. (this happened to a dog of mine in the past)

A normal, healthy dog who is bathed once a month or even every other month shouldn't have any kind of unpleasant odor. Now, odors from rolling in something or having dirty fur are one thing, but what you're talking about is the sort of smell that eminates from her actual body, and that is almost always caused by a poor diet. It probably isn't yeast, but rather just poorly digested food that literally causing digestive enzymes to be out of balance in her digsestive tract.

You don't have to drastically change her diet or start cooking for her. I'd recommend an upgrade in food. Wellness, Innova or Eagle Pack are excellent choices. I'd also feed her 60/40 ratio of wet/canned meat to kibble, which is ideal for optimal nutrition. We feed Jack Wellness Super 5 Chicken, which comes in kibble and canned.

Switch her over gradually and see if this makes a difference. I'm willing to bet it will eliminate the odor and she'll be healthier.

Good luck with her!

The Pawsee

If she has had a physical from the vet and everything turned up ok. I would change the food. Purina isn't a good quality food and pups cannot digest the grain corn. I would suggest a higher quality puppy food such as Wellness and see if that helps.
When you change her food you must do it gradually over the course of a week to 10 days if she has a delicate stomache.

The Pawsee answered on 6/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Stormy

Have you checked in all of the cracks and crevases? Ears are generally a big culprit of bad smells and you should check them to make sure they get cleaned as well during a bath.

Also since I dont know what KIND of dog Diamond is, you should always check in the groin and armpit areas for any redness or irritation that may be a rash developing that may develop into sores. Anal glands may be another area.

Then again, alot of dogs will try to get rid of their nice clean smell and roll in nice yucky stuff soon after thier baths.

Could it be a faint skunk smell? That smell is VERY hard to remove and really you may want to consider getting her professionally groomed and de-skunked.

Also, if Diamond has long hair and you dont dry every inch of it out after a bath, thats where some smells may be coming from.

Stormy answered on 6/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

diamond is the worst food you can buy. that is my opinion from experience.
It killed several dogs in around 2004.
I would go to something geared for your pup that is healthy.
I think wellness or solid gold products are very good.
And since the dog has an odor would be all the more reason to buy a food that is better, even though it costs more.
switch over at 50/50 so the tummy can adjust:)

Stormy makes some good points. Have you talked to the vet about this? Select a soft surface and smell the ears. If it knocks you over, it is infected ears. the vet can fix that.

Bathing can cause more problems than it solves. I seldom if ever bathe a dog, yet nobody ever says anything although I have the puppies out in public all the time and checked by trained people monthly. I do brush them every day with a soft bristled brush.

I have fed Purina and other common brands and know hundreds of others doing the same with no problems. None of them have ever changed food due to odor problems. In the real world, most dogs do fine on most foods.

bad odor....Yes, I bet your baby has too much yeast....
( yeast bacteria can be from allergies to foods)
How about changing the dog food to a better brand : Wellness Pup: Innova PUP:
Solid gold pup; Merrick Pup...
They are all found at the pet stores..

Also, some good puppy supplements are a big plus : We use the nuvet wafers but they also make a nice powder you can mix into the dog food:
see here:
www.nuvet.com

Need more help : see Pet nurse Marie's site here:

www.allexperts.com