Oppenheimer

My Pug marks inside the house! How do I stop this?

My 4 year old Pug/Terrier mix keeps marking on practically everything inside the house. I work on obedience with him, take him outside every day for walks or go to a dog park so he can socialize. He is neutered, and my mom threatens to give him to another home, or take him to the vet to have him euthanized. I don't know what to do. I want my dog to be a proper citizen and respectful, and him urinating makes me frustrated. Sometimes, I have to keep him in a large kennel so he doesn't keep marking on stuff upstairs.

Any advice would be appreciated, and I'm running out of time with him. My mom just left the house saying, "You better start saying your goodbyes!"

Asked by Oppenheimer on Jul 21st 2014 Tagged pug, marking, house, neutered, urinating, problem, vet, goodbye in Dogs and a Clean Home

Answers

Marley

Keep your dog on a consistent daily feeding schedule and remove food between meals.
•Take your dog outside on a consistent and frequent schedule. All dogs should have the opportunity to go out first thing in the morning, last thing at night, and before being confined or left alone. Fully house-trained adult dogs should have the chance to eliminate outside at least four times a day.
•Know where your dog is at all times. Watch for early signs that she needs to eliminate so that you can anticipate and prevent accidents from happening. These signs might include pacing, whining, circling, sniffing or leaving the room. If you see any of these, take your dog outside as quickly as possible.
•If you catch your dog in the act of urinating inside the house, clap loudly, just enough to startle but not scare your dog. (Avoid yelling or punishing your dog. It’s not necessary, and if you do, she might decide that eliminating in your presence is a bad idea and start to sneak away.

Marley answered on 7/25/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Sandy

You can try a belly band. I like www.spoiledbratzwear.com. The belly band is kind of like a diaper but it only covers his boy parts. The website I suggested has very nice ones that work well but the cheap ones on other sites may leak.

Sandy answered on 7/27/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer