Ryan

My pug dog lives out-side is that bad for him?

Asked by Ryan on Sep 25th 2007 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Hmm I have never heard of a pug that lived outside. Umm it isn't bad aslong as there is shelter for the dog, food, water, and otehr basic needs. If It can't get out of rain or the elements then it will get sick. Starvation is just wrong. So if it is taken care of then no staying outside is fine. Unless you live somehere obnoxiously cold then a pug might have some issues.
My Lab/shepard lives outside most of the day, when we are not home or at night she comes in. And I know people with hunting dogs that keep them outside all the time, and they are fine.
Just keep sure that your dog is in good health when staying outside and everything should be fine. ^^

answered on Sep 25th.

Answers

CALLIE

YES!!!!!!!!!! first of all the elements...second of all how can you let a small family member stay outside??? you try it.

CALLIE answered on 9/25/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cats and dogs are safest and happiest living inside with their human families. For safety's sake, they should only be allowed out into securely fenced areas or under close supervision.

Dogs are pack animals, they depend on you for love and protection, so keep them inside, take them for walks, and make them part of your family.

Dogs left in their own yards, even for a few miniutes, have been stolen, poisened, and beaten. They can suffer from stress and loneliness, heastroke in the summer, and frostbite, hypothermia, and dehydration in the winter.

Because of the danger and cruelty that it posesses, several communities have banned the chaining of dogs. Chained dogs kill as many children as firearms do, and they kill more than falls from trees, playground equiptment, and firework accidents put together.

There is no such thing as an outside dog anymore. You need to understand that dogs must be part of the family.

Buddy Boy

Dogs with no hair like that can develop skin cancer very easily from being in the sun all the time. Light skinned dogs can also get sun burned.
Also, does he ever come in? Do you ever go out? No human contact is not fair for him and maybe he needs a new home.
Sorry it thats harsh. But even when my dogs are stinky and dirty, I love them being in the house with me. I don't understand why you would want a dog if he's always outside.

Buddy Boy answered on 9/25/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Angel Choo Choo

I agree with the other answers, yes, he needs to be inside. I noticed from your diary entry Aug. 25 that he started out outside, then you moved his bed and toys inside, and based on your question it sounds like he is outside again. Are you having issues such as housebreaking or destructive behavior? If so, these can be remedied with a little patience and diligence. In any case, he does need to be inside. Dogs take a lot of time and patience and maybe you just need to give this sweet little guy time to grow up. He will love you forever if you just give him another chance! GOOD LUCK!

Angel Choo Choo answered on 9/25/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

YES!! A pug can over-heat or become very cold VERY fast and it could kill them. I read an article on another site and a women left her pug outside on a hot day to play and an hour later went out to check on him and he died of heat stroke. PLEASE bring him inside. A pug is an INSIDE dog.

George Underwood

Really why have a pup if he's banished outside forever. A pup is not your property they are family and they should be treated as such. Maybe if your parents have issues with him bein' inside you may want to think about re-homin' him to a family that has the time and patience for him. It would truly be the most lovin' thing you could do for him if livin' inside is not an option~

George Underwood answered on 9/25/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 5 Report this answer

Monster

Making a pug live outside is not only bad for him, it is abusive. The pug is one of the last dog breeds that could manage living outside. You live in Texas. HOT, HOT, HOT!!!! It is surprising that he isn't dead already from heat stroke. We agree with George Underwood that the best solution might be to find a home for him that he would be an inside dog, unless you get him inside right away!

Pugs are also breed only to be companions to humans. It us cruel to leave him outside without consistent human attention.

Please take the time to read this link for more information, we beg you!!

www.pugsavers.com

Monster answered on 9/25/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

King Dudek (1997-2008)

Why would you get a dog if you are just condeming it to the backyard? Dogs are social creatures who love attention and warmth from us humans. If you don't consider your dog a family member, than why do you have one in the first place? Maybe a cat or goldfish would be a better idea next time...

King Dudek (1997-2008) answered on 9/26/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Pippin

My opinion... yes. Pugs are small, lap dogs, who love human companionship. My pug follows me everywhere, so I could not leave him outside for nothing! They become so well behaved, and once trained, being inside is not an problem. My pug, Pippin, sleeps with me at night, and loves to cuddle. I couldn't even imagine him outside. He is our baby, and part of the family.

Pippin answered on 9/26/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Freeway Golightly

poor little Ryan...My dogs live better then most children in 3rd world countries. Is that wrong?! I guess the parents of those kids would think I'm slightly overindulgent. But I wouldn't have it any other way. Some dog breeds can be left out for hours at a time. Depending on, of course, what part of the country you live in. The weather has a HUGE factor in that decision. But honestly, Pugs and Texas -- absolutely not. One time, years ago, when I had my first dog when I was in my twenties, my husband and I worked a lot,and I felt bad about the dog being inside all the time. I didn't want to leave her outside because of the weather. So - I hired a young teenager across the alley to walk her 3 days a week (thats all we could afford!)It only cost us 10 bucks, and we were all happy!

Freeway Golightly answered on 9/27/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer