My pomeranian, Teddy, might be constipated. What can I give him to help him?

Asked by Member 517717 on Oct 18th 2007 in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

Pumpkin.

You can purchase plain, canned pumpkin at the grocery store for about $1 a can. You want the 100% pumpkin kind, *not* the pumpkin pie mix. The two are usually co-located in your baking aisle.

Pumpkin can be used for both diarrhea and constipation. Just add it to your dog's food. Most dogs really love the taste. :)

Pumpkin is great, I agree!

However, I'd be worried since dogs don't usually get constipated without an underlying problem.

One of the most common reasons for constipation is a blockage.

Look for any straining when he attempts to go, and make sure you take him straight to the vet if he's been eating and has not had a bowel movement in 24 hours and is straining. He could have swallowed something that is blocking his intestine.

Also, if dogs have diarrhea, they may not have a bowel movement for up to 48 hours later, so if there's been any gastro upset or diarrhea lately, this might be the reason he's not going. Again, a vet trip would be in order if you suspect something is wrong.