T-Bone

My pitbull has had cronic ear infections (yeast) nothing seems to get rid of them can anyone help?

The vet has given him antibiotics for yeast and bactiria, neither worked and the medicine you put in their ears and the ear wash forget it he wont let you near him to do so and to go to the vet he has to be sedated.

Asked by T-Bone on Oct 12th 2009 in Allergies

Answers

I would look into the food your feeding T-Bone. Chronic ear infections is one symptom of food allergies. Infections clear up with antibiotics but reoccur after antibiotics are stopped. Switching your dog to a high quality grain free food such as Innova or Wellness may help. A few top ingredients for a food allergy are chicken, corn, wheat, soy and diary. Whatever his meat protein is in his food now switch to a different source. For instance if he is eating chicken, switch him to beef.
When the vet gives you the ear drops for his infection, you need to find a way to get the drops in his ears, it's the only way to clear it up. Get some help if you need to. You should try playing with his ears on a regular basis to get him used to it. I always hide the bottle behind my back, because if Deogie see's it, he starts backing up, he's fine as long as he doesn't see it coming.
All my best.

Pamela       -    Adopted!!!!

I included a link to the common symptoms and cause of ear problems and methods of preventing and treating them.

If the discription in the 4th paragraph sounds like T-bone's problem - mites - have him switched to Revolution. Revolution replaces Frontline (type) and Heartguard (type) medications, getting rid of fleas, dog ticks, mites, heart, hook and whip worms. Dosage my Vet suggests for mites is 3 doses every 2 weeks then monthly thereafter.

www.animed.org
Hope it helps, anything helps - poor guy.

Pamela - Adopted!!!! answered on 10/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

K-10 Von Canein

We finally found a good vet that told us corn and preservatives in dog food were the problem. As a result, by switching diets, the ear infections went away, and never returned. Ours also had diarrhea until switching foods. Hope this helps.

K-10 Von Canein answered on 10/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If you're feeding a grain-heavy diet, that could be the cause. Yeast eats sugar, and grains convert into sugar. Try a grainfree diet for 6 wks or so and see if u notice a difference.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 10/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I had this same problem with my boston for long time.
And he gets his ears cleaned. But, no more letting someone put in those ear washes, the ones that you pour in.
Those for some reason made him way worse. He started really having only problems also when he went to the lake with me as well. the dirty water made his ears extremely infected so now he can't go anymore.
I discussed this with my vet he said his diet had no connection. And we only wipe the outside out now, no more washes.
Also my vet said if it is chronic and severe they can have a Pulp inside the ear and those have to be removed, and they can run a endoscope up in there to find them that is a tiny camera on the end of a wand that is inserted in the ear canal under sedation, you might want to ask your vet about the possibility of an ear pulp

Ikan

I was told once by a breeder of lads that have alot of ear problems, to change the food to a lamb and rice formula. She tryed this and told me it worked great on her dogs that had ear problems in the past.

Ikan answered on 10/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

do you have more than one dog? Watch them, sometimes a dog will lick the others ears if they have an infection, thus worsening things. I have a number of dogs three the same breed from the same litter. ONE has problem ears, they all eat the same food and live the same lifestyle. Sunshine has the ear problem (under control). Some dogs just seem more susceptible. I clean everybody's ears regularly, and Sunshine gets vet prescribed drops if needed. Millie the Tongue does like to lick the other dogs, I try to keep everybody out of here reach when I'm not home. That natural instinct to "heal" is what makes them lick, I think. We had another dog who did this on other dogs, any scratch or scrape or problem spot always got Sissy's attention, we called her "Nurse Sissy"...this DOES NOT work for ear problems tho, so more than one dog, keep a watch.

pitbulls and ear infections.... they seem to go hand in hand...
here is some help-
supplements ( ears and paws)
en.allexperts.com