my pit is 13 and just had a good check up but I take him on pretty long walks,can i hurt him by going too far or hard?

i go around my lake it's about a mile.too much?

Asked by Member 1099593 on Mar 13th 2012 in Exercise

Answers

Let him tell you. If he's slowing down, panting a lot, limping, even stopping to lie down, he's had too much. If he's happy to keep going, let him. It's great to keep older dogs in shape with walks, it helps maintain muscle tone, keeps joints from stiffening, and provides mental stimulation.

Kudos to you that he's still so active and healthy at 13 years old, by the way. Keep up the good work!

Kazba

I had a 13 year old I had to slow down when we went out to run a mile. He was very active until he was almost 14 1/2. Then I could tell he was slowing down and we just walked a shorter distance from then on. I agree with the first post about let them tell you if it is to much. Maybe if you can , have a place half way where you can rest for a bit. And maybe give him a day off from walking once in awhile.

Kazba answered on 3/16/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer