Marley

My pit-bulls' throat was slashed & ended up dying, and the man claimed him and his dog was attacked? Was this overkill?

An old man claimed my 801b male pitbull was sitting on our back rock wall, which he's never done in the 2yrs we've lived at our residence and attacked him & his dog on a late rainy night. We were not home at the time, upon returning home noticed our male pit did not come to us with the female. We called out his name, nothing. We looked over our rock wall in the backyard and right away saw a large pool of blood. We followed the blood trail back to our house, where we found our dog bleeding profusely due to a deep circular cut all the way around his throat where bone was exposed. We aren't sure if this old man went home after the incident and didn't seek help, because the cops told us at the animal hospital that he wasn't going to take his dog in to begin with until told to by the cops. We are left with the vet bills after having to put our dog down, this man never came and spoke to us apologizing or explaining his side of the story. How can I prosecute or prove he was negligent?

Asked by Marley on Jul 15th 2010 in News & Events

Answers

I would consult a lawyer in you area to see what your rights are. Sometimes, the consulting fees are not much.

If where you found your dog was on your property--there are trespassing laws, however since the old man allegedly got attacked, he initially wins. I wonder if it was the old man's dog that actually attacked your dog.

Eve

OVERKILL.
The man couldn't do a flesh wound? Try to escape? Call for help?

Unfortunately, the only proof you have is your dead dog. Unless you can ask around the neighborhood and see if anybody knows anything about what went on. The way I see it, the case is going to be a lot of..."what he said", "what she said".
I would be furious. Consult a lawyer.

Eve answered on 7/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer