♣King♣

My Pit Bull keeps pulling when I walk him.How do I get him to stop?

My pit bull is 3 months old but whenever I take him walking he always wants to pull and I want to correct him before he gets older.Anybody have any ideas please help.

Asked by ♣King♣ on Mar 26th 2008 Tagged stoppulling in Leash Walking

Best Answer

Well, I learned this while I had Nikaya in training class. To start, you will need a leash (I would suggest a shorter one of about 6' to 8' long), some yummy treats that your dog will enjoy and work for, and if possible, a clicker.

What you want to do is every time he pulls, stand your feet in the ground as hard as you can and stay there. Just imagine yourself as a tree. Don't move! Then, when he comes back to you or puts a little slack in the leash (whichever you are working towards) after you won't give in, click and reward him. Praise him when he walks beside you. And, when he pulls you, stand as a tree. Repeat this as many times as you need to until he gets it. Until he gets the hang of this, your walks may be very short.

Good luck with the pulling (BTW, Nikaya still pulls as that is the one thing I decided not to train out of him as I encourage pulling as we do canicross and such).

Hope this helps,
Nikaya's mommy

answered on Mar 26th.

Answers

I tried that method but I found it did not work with my dog. So I worked instead with their pack instinct. You are the boss so keep him behind or beside you. Keep pulling him back as soon as he goes in front. Milo now walks nicely by my side instead of yanking on the leash as soon as we go out.

:) Yes, I've had pit bulls my whole life and it's definitely a breed trait. Often they pull so hard they gasp for air. They are enthusiastic! They have strong necks and don't seem to mind the pulling that would bother most dogs. Biggest recommendation is consistency, especially before he gets stronger than you! Short leash and choker chain (pushed up to behind the ears tends to work best)and keep him beside you. Short, quick jerks work better than constant pressure. In obedience class the teacher suggested making a quick about face when the dog was pulling and walking in the opposite direction. Keep doing this every time the dog starts to get ahead of you and it will quickly learn to watch you closely to avoid you starting off the other way unexpectedly and yanking him around behind you. This works, but we spend the first 5 minutes of our walk doing it before she gives up. Do need to be firm with pit bulls in this regard - they LOVE to pull. Good luck!

Delilah

I agree with Roxy but Delilah is now 4 years old and STILL pulling when we first go out. She has been walked every night since she was 4 months old! She will not walk beside me and is always a tad ahead of me. If she sees something that interests her she is terrible and so strong that is hard to hold her back, even on a short lead she seems to be "on a mission". I have done the reverse quick turning around, the total stopping and the quick yanks while walking and making a grunting sound as I do the quick yank. That seems to work the best, but people probably think I am retarded when they hear me. :-) Maybe because Dogues, and other breeds, are carting dogs it is their tendency??

Delilah answered on 3/27/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mercedes

When he starts pulling, turn around and walk the other way for about seven or eight paces, then turn back around and continue walking. Do this every time he starts pulling. Just a guess.

Mercedes answered on 3/27/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

leon

you can get king an anti-pull harness... it is like a harness but little diffrent.. it keeps them from pulling you down and you have more control of your dog... pit bulls are very strong animals and its good that your trying to stop his pulling before he reaches full size... you can get an anti-pull harness almost any where... but petsmart has the best ones so i would recomend going there... good luck!!!!!

leon answered on 3/27/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Russell woo-woo *Hearing dog*

Try the Gentle Lead Head Collar. It helps teach the dog that it cannot pull and also helps you keep in control while you are out walking.

Russell woo-woo *Hearing dog* answered on 3/27/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Flipper

My mom's a dog trainer so I asked her and she said:

"If you're frustrated, try a front-clip harness like the Easy Walk. Then get out a load of great treats. Use a marker signal like a clicker or a word like "Yes!" and mark every moment when your dog is walking at your side. Just after you mark, offer your dog a treat, holding it right at your side (along your pants seam). Practice off-leash in a safe place (inside or in your yard), then on-leash in that same place, then go out into the big, distracting world to practice. Remember to keep YOUR end of the leash loose if possible - if your dog gets too far away, back up until you get the dog to turn, then take a step forward to 'reset' your dog into the right position, and immediately start rewarding that.

"This is a super-simplified advice for one of the most difficult ordinary behaviors to train! A basic training class or certified professional dog trainer can help you greatly."

Flipper answered on 4/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer