my pit bull has a swollen nose, can I give him benadryl?

Half of my dogs nose is swollen, can I give him benadryl? He is 1 year and three months and weighs 60 lbs

Asked by Member 640176 on Jun 2nd 2008 in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

If your dog's nose is noticeably swollen like you describe AND you know it or highly suspect it is from an allergic reaction or insect sting or bite, then give him the smallest amount of benadryl you can get over the counter AND get him to the vet asap, even if you have to go to an emergency vet. Allergic reactions that cause swelling aren't anything to take lightly, and it is much better to overreact than to underreact since dogs can have serious complications including death from severe allergic reactions.

Having said that, there could be another reason the nose is swelling. An injury, or even a tumor could be causing this. Obviously, if it is just happened recently and not over a period of time, it isn't a tumor.

I would take him in to the vet or call the vet for advice as soon as you can....again, just to be on the safe side. I'd rather raise the alarm than wish I had.

It is never a good idea to use a human medication - or any medication really - on a dog without a good vet specifically suggesting it.

Buddy

Absolutley NOT. A dogs defense system is strong but you have no idea what that can do to his Liver. If human Medication is given. take him to a vet it could be a tumor or an infection. Or an Allergic reaction

Love my dogs always and forever

Buddy answered on 6/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer