Sam

My Pembroke Welsh Corgi is overweight, I need advice on how to get him to a health weight.

Sam is about 4 years old. He is very overweight. I have been free feeding because I have a total of 5 dogs. I noticed yesterday he just is not healthy, he is getting to big. I dont want him to be unhealthy. The biggest problem I have is he is eating acorn and vists my neighbors all the time. We have a petsafe wireless fence but he could not feel the shock. I need to get a plan of action, if I cant do it here at my house I have asked my mom to keep him due to her not having her a dog any longer. I am trying to find out how and what to feed him. I just have to get this figured out for all my dogs, and get on a plan of action.

Thanks for any input!!

Asked by Sam on Apr 18th 2010 Tagged pembrokewelshcorgi, overweight, eatinghabits in Health & Wellness

Answers

I guess i have never been a big fan of free feed, it seems like one dog always gets to much and others dont get enough. I think you almost have to go with a two time a doy feeding program and you will have to be there to make sure that the dog does nto push someone else out and eat their food. If he is getting food at the neighbors, I guess you need to ask them to not feed him. The idea of sending him to your mom for a bit to get him on a new schedule may not be a bad idea. Corgis do seem to have a problem with over eating, I know people that show them, and you are right , it can be a problem. I wish you the best. Feel free to contact me if you need any other ideas for i have had to take weight over some rescues i have taken in.

Hector

There really isn't enough room on this message board to go over it all.

But I can tell you what I did for my dog when he was over weight. Hector weight nearly 135 lbs. He has dysplasia, and I was advised to keep his weight below 125lbs. He is a really big dog, so 125 is idea weight for him. He is now at a healthy 120lbs.

I changed his food to home made dog food. I selected good quality meat, from roast, chicken and sometimes turkey. I boil chicken, and bake turkey, and give raw chunks of roast. This mixed with a nutritious canned food, provides all the nutrient needed. I feed them all (4) a healthy portion of this mix once a day, and leave dry food for them 24/7. I feed them around noon, then they get a late evening snack before bed.

This diet dropped Hectors weight in about 4 months, along with exercise.

All my dogs are at there proper weight, and all check out very healthy by vet.

Worked for them, it might work for Sam. Pawmail me for more suggestions. I have alot!!

Hector answered on 4/18/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

There is really nothing very complicated about it except keeping him from eating the other dogs' food. You just have to feed him less and perhaps increase his exercise. I wouldn't worry about the acorns. I don't think they are toxic, and chances are, he can't digest them.

Just feed him any brand of dog food. Sticking to one you have been feeding usually is a good idea. I would hope the neighbors would listen if you ask them not to feed him, but you can't count on it. There are other dangers besides being fed if he runs loose. Are the collars adjustable? Can you turn his up to give him a bigger shock?

Perhaps sending him to your mothers would be as easy as anything.

What a surprise, Aster is in here trying to trick you into murdering your dog with sub-par food. Who didn't see that one coming?

In complete contrast to what he would have you believe, the truth is that the average grain-inclusive food is chalk full of useless junk that can definitely help put extra pounds on your pup. It's basically the doggy equivalent of McDonald's - it's yummy, it's addictive, and it does horrible stuff to the bodies of all who eat it, including putting on weight.

I would definitely put looking into a high-quality, grain-free food on top of your list. I would also completely cut out the free-feeding, by design it encourages over-eating and obesity. Dogs are greedy, if there's food available, they'll eat it, even if they're not hungry, just to make sure that no one ELSE eats it. Before he went on a diet, Bear was known to eat, puke up next to his bowl, then go back to eating.

I agree with Dunkin... free feeding is not the best way to feed, especially with five dogs! All my dogs are fed in crates, by themselves, so that I control how much each one gets. I can tell if someone is not eating and may be sick immediately, and if one dog needs some medication, it is a simple matter to put it in their food. And, the problem of one dog eating too much to keep it from another or one dog being intimidated and therefore not eating enough is completely removed, as well as the threat of food aggression becoming a problem. You don't even need a crate... you can feed them in different rooms or at different corners of the same room, as long as you watch while they eat. I pick up all dishes after 15 minutes... doing this also prevents picky eaters from developing... the dogs learn to eat when the food is there. All my dogs are in excellent weight from feeding them this way.

First, let me just say how great it is that you're recognizing and admitting something is going on that you want to fix. There are so many overweight dogs out there with owners who think it's cute or are in just plain denial about how risky the extra weight is for their dog. I think you should be commended for wanting to take some action here.

That being said, free feeding (as you may have started to realize) is simply a disaster. Especially with so many dogs. I'd start getting the dogs on a fixed feeding schedule. This will be a difficult adjustment but will go a long way towards the health of the dogs and your own sanity.

For weight loss, you could put him on a low cal food. Wellness has an excellent lite food and so does Orijen. But if he's on a reasonable brand and he's doing well on it, I'd much rather see you exercise him back to health rather than cut back dramatically on his fat and calorie intake. Try and extra walk a day or 20 mins of fetch and see what happens first.

nacho

the green bean diet works great. you use unsalted green beans and mix with the dog food , 3 to 1 ratio with the green beans. They have no fat and they act as a filler to make the dog full. Ask your vet they will tell you the same thng.

nacho answered on 5/17/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Skye

Just like people diet control and exercise:

Make sure you are using a high quality food

No free feeding, dogs like most of their relatives are prone to be binge eaters that are adapted to a feast or famine lifestyle.

Limit portions - half cup in the morning 1 cup at night.

Boost the exercise - once the weight is in control and the dog is regularly exercised you might be able to increase the morning portion up.

Skye answered on 2/18/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Barney

Barney had a weight problem at one time, but we got him to a healthy weight and maintained it.

We put him on a high quality low calorie kibble, then figured out how much he should have for his ideal weight. We split this amount in half, giving him half in the morning and half at night.

Then mid-day we gave him one can of mixed vegetables (liquid too) to help with the hunger between meals. Barney loved it, he always ate it all.

We gave him one treat a day, no more.

Even after he was down to a good weight we continued with the mixed vegetables since he liked them so much.

Barney answered on 4/8/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

This situation isn't as tedious as you may believe.
There are two things to ponder here:

-Do you exercise Sam?
-Is the kibble you feed of high quality?

If the first ingredient on the kibble isn't a protein source, I would HIGHLY recommend that you toss it and get a higher quality kibble. Dogs are carnivores and do not need wheat, grain or vegetables for that matter.

Also, free feeding isn't the best thing. In fact, it can cause many problems.
[But, that's not the issue here].

You should exercise Sam daily. I'd say twice a day for about 20 minutes.

Once you get a high quality kibble[unless you already have one] feed him twice a day; once in the morning and once at night[or how ever you prefer to do to].

Some high quality kibbles include, but are not limited to:

-Wellness
-Blue Buffalo
-Blue Wilderness
-Innova
-Evo
-Orijen

ETC.

With a combination of a healthy, portioned, controlled diet and exercise, Sam should be well on his way to a slimmer, healthier him!