My Patterdale Terrier is terrified of flies, why and how can he get over his fear?

I have had my dog (Pepi) for 4 years he is 7 years old. I got him from a doggy home. It is only the last year or so when his fear of flies has become very evident. He will search for flies in the house and if he sees one he will shake and hide under the dining table or run upstairs and hide. I often wonder if he had been stung by a wasp or bee. How can he overcome his fear, it is really disturbing to see him like this. Can anyone help?

Asked by Member 716210 on Aug 24th 2008 Tagged phobia, shaking, fear in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Gizmo-My Angel March 17, 2014

Gizmo is also afraid of flies. She likes to hide under the bed when they are bothering her so I always make sure the bedroom door is open so she has a safe place to hide. For some reason this seems to be helping and she isn't nearly as neurotic about it as she used to be. I am not sure what causes the fear of flies. Good luck in helpng Pepi overcome this fear. I hope you find something that helps!

Gizmo-My Angel March 17, 2014 answered on 8/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hannah

Yes, possibly your dog was stung in the past. Or bit by a biting fly. They hurt BAD! Our canine companions aren't dumb. Once they have been injured by something, they tend to want to get away from whatever caused the hurt.

I suggest putting the new window sticky fly traps in your windows. At least then, any flies that are able to enter your home will be easily caught, and you can dispose of them properly.

Also, are you taking out the fly swatter and going after the flies in the house? Dogs (most I have seen) for some reason can have a fear of the fly swatter. Even if your not coming after them with it.

Pepi may have been in a previous home where a fly swatter was brought out to make the dogs stop barking, etc. This can last a lifetime...fear of the fly swatter itself. I have seen this behavior many times before.

Good luck. If you do determine that Pepi is afraid of the fly swatter...I suggest putting him in a secure place where he isn't exposed to your exterminations.

Hannah answered on 8/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer