My one year old dog I adopted from the local shelter 4 weeks ago, will only "go" when she is on the leash.

When she's in the yard off the leash, she just runs around, then comes back to the door after 5 or 10 minutes without "going". When she's on the leash, she does not hesitate to "go" and it doesn't take long, it's just that I'd like her to learn to "go" on her own. She has had accidents in the house if we assume she peed outside. Thanks!

Asked by Member 130702 on Dec 8th 2012 in House Soiling

Answers

Its a common mistake to assume a "house trained" dog is REALLY house trained. A recently house trained dog may not understand that she may not pee in ANY house or building.

Teach her as if she were a new puppy by going outside with her every time and praise and reward her when she goes potty.
You can let her drag the leash while you watch. Or unleash her and follow or lead her around.
In time you will notice her toileting further and further away from you.
Continue to go out with her until she increases her distance on her own.

Young or timid dogs may NEVER like to be outside alone and can become chronic house soilers if not given lots of positive encouragement to do their potty outside.

I don't see what the problem is, getting off your bum and physically taking her out on a leash to go potty. Praise and reward her when she does it outside. There will be no guessing if she went this way.