Barkley Bear

My older dog is holding his bladder for long periods of time, can this cause any health problems?

Hello all....I have an 11 year old German Shepherd/Newfoundland mix. He will hold his bladder for long periods of time. He will go almost the entire day without going outside to the bathroom. The only time I can get him to go out side is when I feed him dinner because my dogs eat outside. He never has any accidents inside either.

I have tried everything to get him to go outside treats, putting on his leash and pulling him (which doesn't do much good because he just lays there and he is a huge dog so it's pretty hard to move him when he doesn't want to move) pestering him etc and still he will not go outside. He will usually go out once a day if that and when he does will urinate for a long period of time...can holding his bladder like that cause any health problems?

Unless he just has a bladder of steel or something...lol

Thanks a lot!

Asked by Barkley Bear on Nov 24th 2009 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

B.J., CGC

I have heard that holding their urine too long can lead to bladder infections, but I also have had a couple of older large breed dogs who were exactly the same. If they were not ready to go, you could not make them go outside. None of mine ever had any bladder or UTI infections either.

B.J., CGC answered on 11/25/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I think you should take him into the vet, maybe he is dehydrated or has a problem inside with the bladder, not sure , but to be in a peace of mind of it, I would take him in for an x-ray or ultrasound maybe, good luck.

Hi - Well, I bet he has a large bladder. I am sure it has expanded over the years thru this behavior. He sounds like he is happy with the 1 pee per day. YOU can add a few supplements to aide in his urinary health.
To make sure he doen't get infections or protate troubles
: See here
Cranberry for dogs:
en.allexperts.com