Pixie

My nursing chihuahua wont eat, I have given her hamburger & rice, chicken & turkey but thats all she will eat.

Is there anything else I can get her to eat that has better nutrients? She is not producing alot of milk due to not eating much, and the puppies are sucking her dry? It seems like all I can get her to eat is pretty much meat.

Asked by Pixie on Nov 30th 2008 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

you know it seems every day or two you're posting about some problem with your formerly pregnant, and now nursing dog. I, and I'm sure many other people, have bit their tongues over your posts.

You know what you should do? You should have had her spayed.

If you couldn't afford something as simple as a spay operation why bother to get the dog? Many people aren't made of money, especially in these tough financial times, but we find the money and behave RESPONSIBLY. Now your dog is having problems, and instead of taking her to a vet like you should have done to begin with you're on Dogster asking for help yet again.

If you expect your dog to survive your negligence take her to the vet. if you can't, give her and her litter up to a no-kill rescue organization that can place them in loving responsible homes.

It's people like you that contribute to over crowded shelters and hundreds of thousands of dogs being euthanized every year, all because of irresponsibility.

Riley

Meat is a great thing for her to be eating right now. She needs all the energy and nutrients she can get right now. Can you mix in some puppy kibble with the meat so she eats some of that as well? There are high nutrient gels or pastes, or even gravies that you can put on top of food to get them to eat. Have you tried canned food at all?

Oh and please get your dog spayed!!!!

Riley answered on 12/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

I agree with Pepper!
& yes meat is good or maybe some high quality puppy food for added nutrients that she obviously needs.
Please have her spayed as it is obvious you do now know what you are doing & she & the pups are the ones to pay for your ignorance.

Pepper, I agree with the idea you're getting across, but bluntness isn't always the best way to get the message across IMO. Accidents do happen, even with very responsible people. I happen to know this particular incident was an accident.
Pixie, best of luck.
I think it's okay to feed her meat. I feed my dog 80% meat, 10% bone, and 10% organ (raw diet). You may have to switch to raw or homecooked temporarily to get her to eat. It's very important to give the mother good nutrition when she is nursing. If you don't feel like she's getting a balanced diet to feed the puppies, you may have to bottle feed the puppies.