Bailey

My new puppy is trying to mount my other dog, what should I do?

We just brought home an 8wk old Carolina Dog Mix home from the shelter yesterday and I've noticed that he's been trying to mount my female 2 year old terrier mix. I've also noticed him trying to do the same thing to my two sons (2yrs and 4yrs).

Obviously I don't let him mount my kids but I'm unsure about what to do when he mounts my female dog. Is he playing or is he trying to establish dominance? If he is trying to establish dominance, should I interfere or let the dogs determine what they need to?

I just want to be sure that there are no dominance or aggression issues... I want to handle this right!!

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you!

Asked by Bailey on Apr 11th 2012 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Koby

Sometimes they do it playing. If your new puppy is out of line, your older dog will let him know. Good Luck with your new pup.

Koby answered on 4/11/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shasta

It is sometimes a gesture of play or 'pushing the older dog's buttons' [trying to see how much he can annoy her till she tells him to quit], but it is also a dominance sometimes. My pit bull would do the same thing when he was little, he would mount as much as he could... we discouraged him from it though, told him "No" when he would, and then get his mind on something else like a toy.

He still likes to mount our female dog [he is neutered, she is spayed.], and she absolutely HATES it.... but he doesn't give up until I step in and settle him down.

I do recommend trying to break this though before he embarrasses you like my dog will sometimes do... he will 'try his luck' on every dog at the dog park... which is humiliating to say the least....

Best Regards! =D

Shasta answered on 4/11/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer