my new dog keeps wetting himself when he sees me, what should I do to stop that?

He is a 9 months old, GSD/Rottweiler mix. I got him a few days ago and trying to spend as much time with him as I can but he wets himself when he sees me in the morning and he did it again this afternoon when I got home from my meeting (I just left him by himself for couple of hours) I understand that dogs take a week or so to adjust to their new environment but I really need to make this stop. He is very good with people and he is calm when I take him for walks. basically everything is great about him but the wetting. also he has not had any food since I got him :( please advise. thanks

Asked by Member 1117891 on Jun 27th 2012 in Fears & Phobias

Answers

Maggie Mae

Well, what I would do is not greet the dog when I came into the home. This way his excitement level would calm down. However, if this isn't an excited pee, and he is bowing his head down and peeing when you came in the same method would apply because then you would be teaching him that coming home isn't a scary thing. Do not reprimand him for doing it, just simply ignore him, clean up the mess, and give him affection a few minutes later when he isn't showing any signs of unsureness or excitement anymore. This way you are not only telling him that peeing isn't an appropriate greeting for you, you are laying the ground rule of what is. The more simple rules that are made like this, the happier the dog is. This is exactly the premise of what true reward-based behavior training is about. As for the food, get him used to his feeding schedule and create your rule for the eating behavior that you want. See more at www. facebook .com / from bad to wag for the rest ... sorry, I ran out

Maggie Mae answered on 6/27/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

'Submissive Peeing' is a sign of excitement or fear in dogs. It is certain in your case that your dog pees because he is happy to see you. What you can do is to ignore him when you return back home. Do not greet him immediately when you get back home, do not even go near him until he calms down.
Your dog might be a 'Picky Eater',for such dogs you have to set a schedule of what to feed them and when to feed them and then you have to stick to this schedule. Do not feed from the table. The key is to stick to a plan and find out which food type works for your dog.