Trixee

My mother wants me to take her elderly Shi-Tzu (Sasha), but I don't think it's the best thing for mom or Sasha!

My mother is dying of emphysema. She won't last much longer, and has requested that I take her beloved Shi-Tzu now. Sasha is about 13 or 14 years old, is blind and almost completely deaf. She is used to being the only pet in the household, and being with my retired mom 24/7. I have indoor pets (2 dogs/2 cats) age 5 and under. Our newest edition is a Jack Russell/Dachshund mix with loads of energy. I am worried about how our pets will interact with Sasha, as she just likes to lay around most of the day. I don't want Sasha to be "bullied" or feel afraid because our two dogs will want to play. My husband & I both work all day, leaving the pets alone for 8 hours. I'm very worried about what's best for Sasha, but I'm also worried that my mom will be so much more lonely without her little dog. I don't think this is the best thing for either Sasha or my mom. I am not sure what I should do. Should I try to find a home for Sasha where she will be the only pet? Help!

Asked by Trixee on Dec 6th 2012 in Other Adoption & Rescue

Answers

Tiara

I lady I know passed away suddenly, and she had a 16 year old dog that was not very good. The dogs had to be taken after the lady passed, and were taken to a good home. The dog had problems with the changes and passed away in less then a week. I can not prove the move did it. But at that age it would be very hard for the dog to change and start a new life in a new home. I do thnk the best is to stay with your mother until she can no longer care for the dog

Tiara answered on 12/6/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

If it were me, I would try to honor my mom's wishes. If time allows, maybe you could gradually take her with you for longer periods of time, and bring her back to visit your mom.If it didn't work out, I would search for another home. I would probably put Sasha in a quiet, enclosed area on her own when I was away from home in the meantime. It sounds weird, but my rowdy husky is pretty good at knwing which dogs want to play and which dogs would prefer being left alone. You might find that Sasha is able to establish boundaries with your dogs, as well.

I'm terribly sorry to hear that you are losing your mother. It is so difficult and complicated and painful.

Tony Hernandez

Sorry about your situation. Maybe you can hire a pet sitter to come over for a few hours a day to take care of Sasha's needs, away from the other dogs in your pack. She deserves to be looked after, especially since she is so special to your mom. If mom and Sasha cannot be together, leave Sasha in her own special space in your home -- preferably somewhere where she can see the other pets but not necessarily have to interact with them, especially the young Russell/Doxie mix. Once you get home you can supervise. Good luck.

Tony Hernandez answered on 1/21/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer