Indie

My Mini Black and Tan Dachshund is losing hair on his belly and I'm not sure what is causing this or what to do?? help

I have a black and tan short hair dachshund who is a little over 1 years old. About 4 months ago I noticed the fur on his belly begning to thin, and over the course of the past months his hair on his belly and behind his ears has almost completely disapeared. At first we thought this was due to a food allergie, so I switched him from Science Diet to Blue Buffalo, it seemed that some hair was starting to grow back in the first few weeks but then this stopped. Nothing else has changed except for the fact that he is losing hair on his belly and thining out on the sides of him as well. I'm not sure what to do, and can't afford expensives tests right now...any advice? I hear that hair loss among dachshunds is common so maybe someone can tell help me figure this out...

Asked by Indie on Nov 22nd 2009 Tagged dachshund, hairloss, blackandtanshorthairdachshund, foodallergies in Health & Wellness

Answers

dachshund losing hair; oh, poor kid - you are on a good dog food now;
***it could be environmenal allergies....
You could have the vet do some basic blood work to check for Thyroid problems...
It won't cost much - Just put a limit on your vet.
Tell them I can spend 200.00 on blood work and NO more... or even 150.00
JUST an idea:
You can also try this skin supplement - our clinic has had great luck: see here:
www.apluspetcare.com
Good luck guys...
Marie and Miss Priss

There is a hairloss pattern common (unfortunately) amongst dachshunds. I might suggest you go over to AKC,org, find the parent club for dachshunds and you will probably find helpful information on their webpages. I know other breed clubs such as the poodle do have listings of common health problems and some solutions for them on their parent club website.
Good luck.

www.merckvetmanual.com

www.upei.ca

It is a common problem with some breeds and not due to allergy, illness or poisoning (as some nuts will try to tell you). It is inherited, so your dog should be nuetered if not already. If he is from a breeder, inform them so they don't breed his Sire and Dam again.

Tangerine

My dog is a short hair daschund too, and she has no hair on her belly either. It's natural for daschunds to lose/not have hair on their belly. Many short hair daschunds shed A LOT. The hair loss behind his might be due to shedding.

Tangerine answered on 11/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer