My maltese lost her puppy and I'd like to try and foster another newborn. Is this a good idea?

She is a maltese puppy mill momma rescue who has had several litters already and is a good momma dog. Due to malnutition and abuse before I got her she only carried a single puppy that could not be birthed naturally - he was stillborn but the vet brought him back after 45 minutes of effort. The puppy died after 3 days (2 days ago) and my dog is frantic. But more important she had fostered before and could do so now. If I cannot find a need, could I "buy" a newborn for her to mother (assuming she takes to the puppy). I'm not trying to stress either my dog or another little life but am trying to save one or more.

Asked by Member 997002 on Jul 15th 2010 in Other Puppies

Answers

Lexie

If a newborn pops up in a shelter that needs a mother in the next few days I think it would be a great idea. No good breeder will sell a new born puppy and in a few days her milk will start to dry up. She will calm down. in about month she relly needs spayed before comeing back in heat.

Lexie answered on 7/15/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Im a little confused. When you rescued this puppy mill dog, was she pregnant when you got her or did you allow her to become pregnant AGAIN? In either case, her work is DONE, get this poor little girl spayed.