My male min pin turned 16 yrs. in March. During his last health exam the vet said he has a "significant" heart murmur.

During this vet visit no tests were done. This diagnoses was made only by stethescope. We were given a prescription and sent on our way. Should I have gotten more from this exam or am I expecting too much given the age of my dog? It has been 6 mos. and I want to schedule a follow-up but wonder should I look for a different vet?

Asked by Member 1106478 on Apr 18th 2012 Tagged heart, senior in Senior Pet

Answers

Cobain ADC, SGDC, CGN

In all honesty, at 16 years of age I don't think it's too much to dote on.
I know a Yorkie that too has a significant heart murmur. Had it for years, he's around the same age and unmedicated, still going strong.

As long as your pup isn't displaying any symptoms of pain, I would say let the old man enjoy life - I'm sure he'd rather be at home with you than at the vets :)

Cobain ADC, SGDC, CGN answered on 4/18/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jessie

there isn't much more you can do at this time. Some vets that want your money would schedule routine echos for $400.00 a pop to turn around and give you the script your vet just gave you. Your vet is doing you right.

Jessie answered on 4/18/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer