My male dog, was stuck to my female (his mother), she is not in heat, can she sill get pregnant?

She was in heat in March, and is no longer in heat, but her pup was stuck to her, he is just over a year old, I do no want any more puppies, is there a chance she could have more? Or is it just a dominance thing? She attacked my other male dog, who is neutered, so I hope i was just the "excitement " that made him do what he did. (the puppy, to his mother).

Asked by Member 1085315 on May 4th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

I have seen male dogs, especially puppies, tie with females who were NOT in heat due to excitement.
However, the concern in this case would be whether she had a "normal" heat in March OR had a so called "split heat" where they have a shortened heat and come right back in in a few months.
If there are any signs such as both dogs sniffing more than usual or a swollen, moist vulva, I would be very concerned about a split heat.
An ultrasound can be done in 22 days to make sure she is or isn't.

Missy

If it turns out she is pregnant when the time comes to find out for sure, i'd go ahead with a spay abort if i was you. The levels of inbreeding between a mother/son mating is not something i'd wanna be reproducing.

I hope she isn't pregnant!

Missy answered on 5/8/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer