My large dog was hit repeatedly with a large stick by a 4 yr old. How do I help my dog not to fear children?

My dog is a 6 yr old Anatolian/Great Pyrenees cross, I raised her from a pup and she has been socialized, but she also has a job to keep coyotes off the farm and does it very well. She has been around my grandchildren for the past 2 years since they moved next door and is very good with them and they with her. Today, however my 4 yr old grandson hit her several times with a stick, now of course she wants no more to do with him. Can I repair this for the dog?

Asked by Member 1171745 on May 23rd 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Pineapple Smushface

The dog will not necessarily associate violence with all children, but she will with THIS CHILD. If you are not in the position to discipline your grandkid, I would have a strong talk with your children to teach theirs KINDNESS TO ANIMALS and NO HITTING, WITH OR WITHOUT STICKS (and possibly limiting violent video games). The child should be punished to reinforce the message and prevent future attacks. Have your dog spend quality time with your other (nice/older) grandchild soon while being supervised and reassured, so that she only associates bad things with this one child. When he grows up, hopefully the relationship will soften, but if I were your dog, I would want absolutely nothing to do with this little kid either. ^_^

Pineapple Smushface answered on 2/26/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer