my labrador 12monthsoldis weak and small in size how to develop it.

My labrador male age 12 months very active but small in size age vise looks very small and thin say about 6 to 7 months look,how to develop its growth,and what medicine should I,give him,good eater,

Asked by Member 1145361 on Dec 15th 2012 in Medications

Answers

Just like in humans, there are no wonder drugs for dogs! At a year old your dog is still a pup and shouldn't have a mature body yet anyway. A proper lab will not have that heavier build until he matures at 2 or even three years of age, assuming his ancestors had that body type.
Proper diet, proper exercise and good genetics behind him are the only way to help his growth.
IF he is from a line of smaller, thinner dogs he most likely WILL be built like they are as you cannot change genetics, even with drugs like steroids, etc., which, in addition to being illegal for that use, are extremely dangerous just like they are in humans!
At four and a half months, Quincy is 48 lbs. without an ounce of fat, BUT, he eats a high quality meat based kibble, gets plenty of controlled exercise and comes from a long line of solid, well bred Labradors with proper heavy bone and a great thick coat. Knowing his background, I suspect he will also mature just as they did at around 2 - 3 years.

Seth

Some dogs are just smaller then normal. It happens with humans also. There really is nothing you can do to make the dog taller. But maybe feeding the dog a food made just for dogs his age may help. I did see that nutro now makes a formula for big dogs 6 months to 2 years of age. Maybe this will help to fill him out a bit more. You can have them looked at the next time you are at the vet to make sure their is no medical problems. But I do not think you need to make a special trip

Seth answered on 12/17/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer