zena

My husky pulles alot when he walks i have heard about the hati head collar which controls thae while they walk is it goo

Asked by zena on May 11th 2010 in Collars & Leashes

Answers

marley

i had one of those when i first got my dog,as he pulled a lot too,but i personally found it quite hard to get the hang of and a bit of a nuisance,i bought a harness instead which worked for me,he still pulls occasionally but nothing like he used to.

marley answered on 5/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Buckeye

I personally disagree with the head collar. I have heard bad things and good things about it, but I think that dogs would uncomfortable wearing something around their head. It's possible that it could hurt them, too. I wouldn't reccomend this for a dog who is pulling. I do however like the Easy Walk Harness. Instead of attatching the leash to the back or around the head, it connects to the front chest. As the dog pulls, it gently encourages them to come back to the owner's side.

I have had great sucess with this harness. I use it with both of my medium sized dogs and have never had an issue with it. You can order it, or buy it at Target or PetSmart.

Here is the link that has more information about the Easy Walk Harness:
www.premier.com

P.S. Please do not use pinch or choke collars for your dog! Although some people think it works, it hurts the dog and can cause injury or even death.

Buckeye answered on 5/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

While the no-pull harness does work on most dogs - NOT on a Husky or other sled dog. They love to pull - they were bred to pull.

I am just bringing my own head collar to market soon. I designed it as a tool to be used with a separate collar and leash - NOT to replace a collar. It can help train a dog to walk loose leash. Unlike the two on the market in the USA it does not hang under the muzzle. My design has the strap for the collar coming from the back of the dogs head, behind it's ears. (Out of chewing range Sonny!). It's similar to the Premier Wonderwalker, but more flexable and the Premier is marketed as replacing a collar and lead - it should not.

In the UK look for the Canny collar.

Head collars can come off. Some dogs fight til they get them off, some owners don't fit them correctly.

Injuries can happen to a dogs neck if it lunges or runs and comes to a sudden stop with a head collar alone.

www.youtube.com

Charlie

I agree that a harness probably isn't the best choice for a Husky, as they are bred to pull on harnesses. I've used the Halti or the Gentle-Leader (both pretty similar) and have had success with both. Just be sure not to yank on it like some people might do with a normal collar, which could twist the neck. It does take some getting used to for both the human and the dog. He is probably going to try and paw at it to knock it off, and rub his snout on the ground. You can do some exercised to help acclimate him to it before you go out. Let him wear it around the house and treat and praise him for having it on. Once you are outside with him on it just try and keep moving. Eventually he will see that wearing the Halti means going for a walk and will grow to like it.

Charlie answered on 5/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru

alot of dogs do this no matter what the breed is.
Also there is the sensation harness. Those do work pretty good I would say. Bridget is about 90lbs now and she would love to yank my arm off especially when she sees a cat.
www.softouchconcepts.com

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru answered on 5/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jesse

I have 2 Huskies. We use a gentle leader on Jesse (same concept as a halti, but slighly different design) and it works well. She doesn't 'heel' as such, she still walks out front, bt doesn't pull nearl;y as much. Tikaani refuses flat out to wear one, so we have a no-pull harness for him., which works ok, but not great. It also doesn't fit him well, I think Huskies maybe have a a funny body shape - unless it's just him lol.

Jesse answered on 5/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I like the Halti or Gentle Leader type collar. He will still be able to pull, but not near as hard as with a leash and collar or harness and leash. Check the size of his snout... some dogs with too short a snout can pull the leader right off their nose. If he has a long snout he should be fine keeping it on. Another option is the Illusion Collar. You can check it out at www.cesarsway.com. I have not personally used it, but it is designed to pull from right behind the ears where they don't have a lot of muscle to drag you down the street! Hope this helps.

nacho

You don't need any special collars. I used the same collar and it didn't work. The best method is every time your dog pulls you, stop moving, when the dog relaxes then start to walk again. Each time he pulls you stop. This method will take patience. You will find that you will not get far at first, but eventually the dog will learn that If he pulls he will go nowhere. Some dogs pick this up faster than others. It works. I have used this on all my dogs and I have five. My besinji took the longest to teach this too. It seemed like all she wanted to do was choke herself. It took me four days to have her stop pulling. Sometimes I never made it out of my driveway. Patience.

nacho answered on 5/17/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

huskies are a very intelligent breed, as part of that intelligence come their ability to think for themselves. the best way to get a husky to do anything you want, is to find ways to "trick them" into thinking it was the husky that wanted something done. and alot of patience to go with that. as a dog trainer, (and a husky owner) i highly recommend (and have used with great success on huskies) is a SPORN harness. unlike a conventional harness which puts pressure on the breast bone (which makes the dog think it is pulling, and will want to pull more) it uses lines that lead from the collar (in the front) down through the armpit area, through a ring in the back of the collar, and thats where you attach your leash. when the husky pulls, it tightens up around the front arms, creating discomfort. available from jefferspet.com

www.jefferspet.com

they run about $16 plus shipping