My Husky peed while lying down, did not get up to do so. what's wrong?

This evening my 10yrs old Husky was laying on the porch. She got up and I noticed her rear was damp and the porch too. I got a paper towel to see if it was water or urine. I could not tell, but I lifted her tail and she was sort of wet. She is an out door dog, so I am not sure if she just sat in water, or if it was urine. Her tail was kind of wet too, and the wetness was not a urine color really. If is is urine, why didn't she get up to pee? This is not like her, and other than her just acting like an older dog, she does not seem to have anything wrong with her or look sick. She has been spade most of her life just to add that. If this is a symptom for something I sould know, I thank you for the help.

Asked by Member 630601 on May 7th 2008 Tagged husky, urine in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Lola

There is such a thing as spay incontinence. She may not have realized she peed at all. If that's the case you can either deal with it or put her on Proin to curb the incontinence.

Lola answered on 5/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

First, take a vet visit. Unless she did sit in water, this is either a UTI [Urinary Tract Infection] or incontinence.
Cookie started having the same problem. We though "Oh this is a UTI. Time to go the vet for medicine."
We did, they took a urine sample and found no white blood cells or urine crystals (which means an infection). So, they determined that Cookie had incontinence. They prescribed something the Proin stuff that the other poster mentioned.
Do NOT just off and buy Proin yourself. It could still be a UTI. Only a vet visit can tell you which one it is. A UTI can become serious if left untreated. Incontinence is more annoying than serious.
P.S. Bring a urine sample so that you won't be given a container, asked to go in the back (or front), and wait for your dog to pee then catch it in the container. That's what happened with me.

Lily

My daughter's older Lab/Chow did this last winter. She was put on hormones and the problem stopped. Sort of like Hormone Replacement Therapy for older human females. Your dog needs to see her vet.

Lily answered on 5/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer