My husband and I work full time jobs, we bought a shihtzue,but he thinks we don't have the time but i do think so.

She is 7 months old, we only have fish but we really want a dog, we work full time in the same place at the same hours kinda. We agree to have her but my husband thinks we won't have enough time for her but i think we do. We don't ave extra activities, in fact we are couch potatoes. Please help us because we bought her and the money is non refundable. It's not about the space or money it's about the time. thanks

Asked by Member 1071918 on Nov 20th 2011 Tagged dog, fulltimejods in Answers

Answers

Well, to be honest, I think it was irresponsible and unfair to the dog to buy her without thinking all this through first. Even small dogs like Shih Tzu need exercise and attention. You have to commit to a daily walk at least, no matter what hours you work- could be in the morning or the evening or both. You could rotate walk duty with your husband so neither of you gets stuck with all the dog chores.

Another option is to hire a dog walker or take her to doggy day care. A lot of working people do this .

When she's at home alone, you can use interactive toys to keep her busy- stuff like Tug a Jug, filled Kongs, etc. Chew toys like Nylabones and antlers are good too. Make a puppy-proof room or get an X-pen so she can't roam the house and destroy things or get hurt. Some dogs also like to watch TV when their owners are away. Animal Planet and nature documentaries are big hits.

Tiara

I really do not know why you got a dog if you do not have the time for it. Having a dog is like everything else in life including your jobs. If you do not put some time and work into your job you will get nothing from it and more then likely will not get ahead. You have to decide if you can find the time to work with the dog and care for them. If not, you may want to look into placing the pup in a home that will care for him.

Tiara answered on 11/26/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer