My heeler just had 8 babies,when should I dock thier tails

Asked by Member 865031 on Aug 6th 2009 in Health & Safety

Answers

Cole

If you know enough to be breeding shouldn't you know the answer to that question?

Cole answered on 8/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lexie

I agree with the first answer I like the blue heelers better with there tails like god ment them to be better than them being choped off. Some pepole like them better withe them done. you should have it done by your VET bettween 2 and 3 days old. DO NOT DO IT YOURSELF IF YOU DO IT WROUNG YOU WILL LOSE THE PUPS THEY MIGHT BLEED TO DEATH. if you can not pay the vet to do it then leave them the way god made them.

Lexie answered on 8/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I think you should ask your vet.
I never heard of this practice on the breed.
I think blue heelers are suppose to have tails. Both of mine did.
I think only in a certain case like the dogs are going to be working cattle heavily and the chances of them getting a tail broke is very rare even then. For them to have a tail smashed would to be in a corral that is very tight.
I think you should seek some advice from the vet and read up on your breed.
Here is an excellent link
en.wikipedia.org

Zack

Most Australian Cattle Dogs (aka Red/Blue Heelers) have natural tails, they are not docked. They use them for balance and as a rudder to help them move quickly around livestock. Their tail is needed to help them do their job - it is actually harder for a heeler to herd or do agility without a tail. If they're just going to be pets, there's no reason to dock either.

A heeler with a docked tail would also not be able to do conformation shows, because the breed standard requires a natural tail.

From the breed standard:
Tail
The set on of tail is moderately low, following the contours of the sloping croup and of length to reach approximately to the hock. At rest it should hang in a very slight curve. During movement or excitement the tail may be raised, but under no circumstances should any part of the tail be carried past a vertical line drawn through the root. The tail should carry a good brush.

Save yourself some time and money - leave the tails the way they are.

Zack answered on 8/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer