my heart is breaking up right now i have to give up my 2 huskies coz i just got a baby

i have to give up my dogs coz i have a baby now and i cant give them the quality of life that they deserve how do i go about doing that

Asked by Member 970998 on Mar 5th 2010 in Shelters & Rescue

Answers

i do not understand why you feel you have to uproot your pets? raising your baby around them could and should be beneficial to all of you. unless the dogs are too aggressive, then i understand. but if not they will adapt to a new schedule, and you will appreciate what they bring to you and your child when your baby starts giggling at something they do, or [s]he walks to the pet with one of his/her first steps because that pet is considered family to that little one. i have a granddaughter who is 16 months and we all lived together until feb 1. she was raised around our animals and the joy they give each other all the time is very apparent . if the dogs are touchy, you can keep them at a distance and still have it work. good luck to you. i am glad i didnt feel i had to give up a member of my family- maybe you dont have to either.

This makes no sense. Why on earth are you giving up 2 family members because of a baby. Yes you are going top have to rearrange your schedule a bit but it is totally doable. I had 5 huskies when i had my baby and I never had to give up my dogs because of it. I hear this all the time and it makes me sad because there is no reason for it. Its always the easiest thing to do to give up your dogs when life changes just a little bit but you took in a commitment when you got these dogs. Thats what pets are a commitment. They aren't an item that you get from Kmart that you can return when life goes a certain way. Unless they are aggressive k there is no reason you can't keep them.

You may be feeling overwhelmed right now with a new baby. That's understandable.

But as long as the dogs are getting at least one walk a day and you are able to provide food and shelter and just a wee bit of attention once in a while between feedings and nappy changes, then there's no reason to think that they can't hang in there until you can spend more time with them again.

Things will get easier, it's tough, draining and emotional to have a new baby. But honestly, your dogs are going to be horribly affected if they are given up from their home at this point.

Really, that IS their quality of life. Any separation from you will be incredibly painful and confusing and what if they can't stay together in a new home?

It's so much better to stick it out now than to give them up.

Try enlisting the help of family or friends through this hectic time. I'm sure people will be willing to help you by walking them or playing with them when you get overwhelmed. They're your babies, too!

Most people have babies and dogs. I don't think it's fair for your dogs to be rehomed simply because your situation has changed.
When you say quality of life, are you talking about exercise? At this point, you are feeling tired and we can all understand that, but honestly a walk will do you wonders. Fresh air will make you feel better and gives you time spent with your dogs.
As you settle in and a schedule is set, you will be able to find a happy medium for family and dogs.
It would be sad for you to realize you made a bad decision based on the craziest of this time. Give it time, allow things to fall into place and soon you will realize there's room for everyone in your life.

Do you have someone else to walk them and help out?
Many people use dog services, dog walkers, part time nannies while you go out with them.
In a few months you will have more time as the baby grows.
care.com has pet sitters here. When your husband gets home have him walk the dogs.
Or if you can have the family help you like a sister or brother walk the dogs. It is a time to enjoy your baby but other family members I am sure would love to help you out.
I think you might want to rethink the dogs and think about how much they love you and you love them. It is just a hurdle to get over. I think you should lean on your family for support. good luck

Kayak

I pretty much agree with the other posts...........a dog is for life.

Kayak answered on 3/6/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer