My GSP is 14yrs and 4mths. She has lost her hearing and her eyesight is failing. She has also no bladder control. I can'

We can't bring ourselves to say goodbye. Is it time to. Please help.

Asked by Member 1133710 on Oct 1st 2012 Tagged endingadogslife in Senior Pet

Answers

That is the hardest decision that any of us can make. I had a Golden a few years ago that was going through kidney failure. It got to the point where his quality of life was really bad. He tried to bite me which was highly unusual. I figured it was his way of telling me it was time. So, I think if my dog is not happy and is living with pain, not eating and finds no joy in every day, then for me it's time. Only you can tell with your dog whether or not it's the right time. Hopefully, your dog will let you know when it is right. It is really hard to say good bye. Just know that you can keep her in your heart forever. Good Luck!

Sabi

No one can make that decision for you. I am sorry and I know it's hard. When the bad days are more common then the good, you need too decide if you are hanging on for her or you.
She is the most loyal friend you will ever have, and she will be with you always. You owe it to her to make the right choice. Think of 10 things that she loves to do, and then ask yourself if she can still do any of them.

Sabi answered on 10/1/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lincoln

Look into your dog's eyes--the answers are all there. I know that sounds simplistic--but her hurting and not feeling good are all there for you to see--and answer her, with the loving release that she needs from you. I went thru this kind of thing a little over a year ago. I couldn't, with any conscience let my little boy go on suffering. He would try to keep on going out of love for me--but it wasn't fair to him. I will always love him until the last breath I take in this world. I let him go and it nearly killed me--but I know I did right by him, he had a bad heart, and kidney failure. He was a proud little dog, and he felt shame when he made mistakes in the house because of his illness. The shame he felt was awful. I couldn't ask him to go thru any more. I loved him too much. I let him go in peace, and love. I know in my heart, YES, I did the right thing for him. I have another dog now--and I love this one very much too, but I will do right by him as well, when his time has come.

Lincoln answered on 10/2/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Callie (Calliope)

When my 14 year old cat lost weight suddenly and was becoming in continent testing revealed his kidneys were failing. It was a painful decision to make but I knew he was ready. It's been almost 2 years and still pains me to think about it. But I know it was the right decision. I now have a GSP who I hope lives as long as yours.

Callie (Calliope) answered on 10/2/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer