My GSD seems to be getting overprotective of me. She is growling at my sister when I'm in a room and my sister wants to

I just would like to know if my German Shepherd will get worse and want to bite.

Asked by Member 835781 on May 13th 2009 in Aggression

Best Answer

It will get worse, maybe, or maybe not bad enough to bite. You need to give her better leadership. The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at www.dogsbestfriend.com For more on being top dog, see www.dogbreedinfo.com.

Aster answered on May 13th.

Answers

How old is the dog?
they are a protective breed. they love their owners and will be aloof of other people/strangers.
Best to have the person feed dog without staring at him. When she feeds have her walk calmly away. If the dog follows her have her feed again and walk into the opposite direction. Sounds like the dog worries when people approach and also walk away.
Feeding and not staring makes the dog learn and become more aware that she is a good person and is going to bring the dog something good. Work on that. Have her take the dog for a walk couple times a week. That way the dog gets away from you and learns she is good. Get the dog out more and into doing things. The dog needs regular schedule and training.

I agree with the above.

And please make sure that you correct the behavior.

And when working on socialization work on accepting more than just your sister.

We had a GSD when I was a little girl and she wasn't properly socialized.
She did great around us (our whole family).. but one day I had a friend over and she jumped through the window screen trying to attack her.

If we had friends in the back yard she would try to hop her own fenced in area.
It was not pretty.