My grandparents dog bit my hand, i went to the hospital and I'm ok. I want to know why? Why would he attack me? He's be

My grandparents dog bit my hand, i went to the hospital and I'm ok.

I want to know why? Why would he attack me?
He's been acting a little strange around me.

When it happen'd I came inside and stood by mom, then he growled at me it wasn't a big growl non threatening I was petting him then he attacked me.
My uncle got him off me and put him in the room.

My uncles tease him and I was last there about a month ago from this incident.

Thanks,

Asked by Member 1154872 on Feb 12th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

You don't give enough info, but a growl is (almost) ALWAYS an indicator that a dog is not comfortable. Not to be accusatory..but what did you do? A bite is also usually a dog's last resort. Did he growl, then you continued to pet? If so, you ignored his "back off" message.
What does "a little strange" mean/look like? When was his last vet check-up? Could he be injured/in pain? How often do you see the dog? How do you approach him? What kind of playing do you do with him?
So may important details are missing in order to give you any kind of guess/answer. Any answer you get here will be a guess, as no one knows the dog.

Dogs are PACK ANIMALS and very few understand Dogs and dogs that growls is a warning sign something he doesn't like,I'd say he doesn't accept you as a PACK MEMBER and they know higher RANKS in the PACK eat first and if any left they can have it so it's a matter of survival.And than the LOWER RANKS will growl whatever and DOGS do this because they are PACK ANIMALS.If my dog growls at anyone that came to visit me no problem put in the DOG KENNEL with a big bone or something they can spend hours having fun like toys filled with like peanut butter,for being so good they might get a pet,maybe a walk a run a swim or a ride in the car if really good come inside the PACK LEADERS house.Let dogs come to you and pretend you don't care maybe just a little pet and when you've done this about thirty times this dog or any wilL not bite you but everybody blames the dog WHY when i've never known anyone to tell how manys times you train a dog so it knows.My dogs get one year PACK STRUCTURE no OBEDIENCE

Dr. Watson

Wiley gave you a good answer. You may be making the dog quite uncomfortable without realizing it.

As far as the "pack leader" stuff goes, just ignore that. The poster is trying to explain wolf behavior and apply it to dogs -- totally incorrectly. And the top dogs don't eat first, anyway.

Dogs know that humans aren't part of their pack. Humans can be owners, partners, leaders, but not dogs.

Dr. Watson answered on 2/14/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer