My Goldendoodle got so severely matted we had no choice but to shave her. Will her hair come back the same?

Asked by Member 992976 on Jun 17th 2010 Tagged goldendoodle, matted in Other Grooming

Answers

her hair should come back fuller and prettier than before cause it is starting out fresh

Yes it will as a friend has a Goldendoodle and she got in to something and got all matted and they could not comb it out even after a bath, so they had her shaved and it came back it even more beautiful and soft. They know try to keep her well groomed so she does not mat up again. She is brown.

I am writing this with "tongue in cheek" so you will know I intend it to be funny, not serious... but yes, her coat will come back the same AND yes, it will matt up the same as well!
This is probably a good opportunity for you to put her on an 8 week grooming schedule so she won't get matted like that again. Most of the "doodles" I groom come in every 8 weeks and are kept in a "puppy clip", which is about an inch all over. It's clean, it won't get matted, and most groomers will charge less for regularly scheduled grooms. Best of all, you won't have tons of brushing and it's cute!!!

Brutus

Her hair will come back the same. I have two Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers who get shaved sometimes. Their hair sometimes takes a while to come back, but it grows back the same color, and even more soft. Make sure you brush your Goldendoodle. It may be hard to do often, but it's important for her coat. I suggest that you brush her weekly, and even more if you can. A lot of dogs with this should be brushed every other day or everyday, but weekly should be okay. It's best to shave her. She'll feel better shaved than she will with matted hair. Good luck!

Brutus answered on 6/18/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It will come back just fine. And I agree with Chaz. A puppy cut will be great on a doodle! You will get the benefit of the crazy, soft curls and also not have to worry quite as much about the matting happening.

But they do take maintenance with regular brushing no matter what the length of fur.

I don't have a doodle, but my groomer has commented that Jack's fur is most similar to a poodle/terrier mix and it's quite dense and fine at the roots, like people hair so I tend to think he could have some poodle in there. And with him, I have to brush him at least once every few days when his coat is long.

I also make sure to check for burs or other debris in the crevices between the pads. Dogs with fur like doodles have paws that act like velcro when it comes to picking stuff up.

My neighbors have a pom that they shave during the warmer months and his fur comes back about the same only softer.As long as you brush her good the fur will retain that same softness.