My golden retriever won't stop licking. She licks everything from skin to furniture.

It's gross when you sit in a chair and it's all wet from her licking. We've tried the sprays that are supposed to stop chewing, but she still licks.

Asked by Member 819860 on Apr 23rd 2014 Tagged licking in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

I would have a vet check her out, just in case something is wrong. Otherwise, it could be caused by anxiety or boredom.

I vote for boredom and anxiety, too. You have a working dog and they like a job. I'd increase her exercise and add some extra stimulation, like a puzzle toy, play dates, an obedience, protection, hunting or agility class. Even a new place to walk would increase her stimulation. Freeze a wet tshirt with a treat inside or a peanut-butter-filled Kong. Hide some treats in the house and let her find them. Redirect her anytime she starts licking, making sure to provide some kind of stimulation for her when you are going to be gone, since she'll be extra bored and anxious. Give that a week or two, and then take her to the vet if it doesn't improve.

Gonzo

She could have an allergy. I agree to have her checked over with your vet just as a precaution.

Gonzo answered on 4/24/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

Often excessive licking in a dog results from an upset stomach. Daily use of an antacid (per your vet's instructions) or even a change in amount/times of feeding can stop this excessive licking.
I would stop the punishment approach with the sprays and have your dog examined by a vet. Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to do some google searches for the connection between dogs licking and upset stomachs and bring this information along to your vet for discussion.

Toto, CD, RN, CGC answered on 4/29/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Is your dog spayed? If not, you should have her fixed. Also, your dog can be bored and thus, giving her enough physical and mental exercises would help.