Paopei

My girl is already 19 yrs old and she has DJD on one of her hind legs. How can I tell she is not suffering from pain?

My vet said to let her have more rest and less walking. She still have very good appetite but I can see that she is deteriorating.

Asked by Paopei on Aug 15th 2013 Tagged degenerativejointdisease in Senior Pet

Answers

19 is SOOOO awesome! You will know it's time when your dog stops eating. Yes, they can waste away to nothing and it's hard to watch, but keep her food bowl full and you can try introducing treats, like Greenies senior chews. Those will clean her teeth and they're low cal enough that giving one each day is okay. When she has trouble walking or has a stroke, you'll know. Bring her to the vet if you see any distress you do not believe to be age-related. ^_^

I'm sorry to hear that. You have a mature dog and you need to follow the vet's advice as they become less energetic for their age.