My girl is a Rat Terrier.We took her in from a elderly gentlmen. she is house trained & we love her. We believe she is 2

How do we stop her from getting into mischief ,& in2 trash. I get scared when I call 2 her & she doesn't come back. She bolts out the door with out warning. She never did that before. We walk her & play with her & we let her out back for excercise with our other dog for play time. I sit with her on the couch & give her mommy & me time I jus don't know what I'm doing wrong now. Please help me I love her so much.

Asked by Member 1155702 on Feb 17th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Mika

If she is getting into things while you aren't home, crate training may be a good option for you. If this happens when you are with her, you should get a trash can with a lid so she can't get into it...even if you have to put a baby lock thing on the lid....gotta do what ya gotta do. Even though she is 2, if she gets into thing maybe trying 'puppy proofing' your house, at the same time work on training, work on "off" so when she is into something "off" will make her....well....get off! Daily training sessions will help stimulate her mind which will help tire her and when she learns things you will be able to use your commands to curb her behavior. Remove her from you for "time outs" if need be. Good recall is what you need for a door darter or an off leash dog, yummy treats in hand, frequently calling her to you giving treats so she knows when she returns she gets rewarded, start off leash training on a long lead to be safe until you know your recall is solid, Good Luck

Mika answered on 2/17/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Carbon

A great way to bond/train your dog at the same time would be to enroll in an obedience or training class. Depending on your area there should be a few trainers (Or places like Petsmart that offer classes) that can help you fine tune her house manners.
Books are another great resource, my advice is to go to your local library and read every book on dogs they have, you know your dog best so you should be able to pick out a few tips and tricks that will work best for you and your pup. Just make sure that you are consistent and clear or the training wont stick!

Carbon answered on 2/17/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer