my gf dog was abuse before she got it. when ever she leaves the dog will hide and be afraid of me and shakes

dog loves me when ever she is around.

Asked by Member 1089285 on Feb 2nd 2012 in Fears & Phobias

Answers

Are you a male? If the dog was abused, the dog may of been abused by a man. Many dogs who are abused by men are afraid of all men.

It could also be separation anxiety or the dog feels more comfortable with your girlfriend around.

Give treats to the dog (if the dog won't come near you, throw the treats on the ground), play with the dog (fetch toys to the dog if he/she won't come to you), try taking the dog on walks with your girlfriend but YOU hold the leash and YOU walk the dog, bathe the dog, etc.

Of course, don't overdo it, take little steps at a time and be easy with the dog, use a calm voice and make sure you are calm.